• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Tired of Plastic Aframes

Billct2

Here is a little job, the store is in a little shopping village and each store is allowed to put their aframe by the road three days a month. The client wanted something different, not like all the plastic a frames everyone else has. Used yellow alumalite, added a couple pieces of aluminum to protect the feet and instead of a chain a "locking" swing arm.

Attachments

• JORDIES.jpg
    JORDIES.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 90

phototec

Used yellow alumalite, added a couple pieces of aluminum to protect the feet and instead of a chain a "locking" swing arm.

Nice work! :goodpost:

Did you use a router table to cut out the bottom shape?

I don't have a router table, however I think I could use a template and a hand router to cut the shape out of alumalite. What kind of router bit should I use?

:thankyou:

Billct2

We used a jig saw with a fine blade. Hit the edge with a flat file then filled the edges with black latex caulk just for apprearance.

phototec

We used a jig saw with a fine blade. Hit the edge with a flat file then filled the edges with black latex caulk just for apprearance.

Ok it's a one of a kind.

I think I get how everything was put together except for the hinge area in the center, can't see it in the photo.

Can you give a little more detail about the "hinge" and "locking" swing arm?

Anymore photos?

:help

Billct2

Sorry, it's already gone.
The two faces are hinged to the center panel with thru bolts, so there are 4 hinges two on each face. The holes alternate and we grind the bolts down, but the sign does not close completely flat because of the hinges. The swing arm attaches to blocks that are glued and screwed to the back. The arm itself is a scrap of .125 aluminum strap with a screw on the swing end and a notch on the other that latches on a screw.t

signswi

Has a nice feel for a toy shop a-frame. I too am tired of plasticade a-frames everywhere. They're obnoxious (and usually have terrible graphics on the face). The characters up top do look a little green but otherwise good work.

Billct2

That is 20 year old cariacture of her sons that has been her logo for those 20 years.
She didn't have the original anymore and it had become sloppy thru various reproductions. The Vector Doctor digitized it for me and it looks pretty good in real life.
I also did new designs for her cards, bags, gift certificates and ads along with new sign faces and window graphics.

Flame

That is 20 year old cariacture of her sons that has been her logo for those 20 years.
She didn't have the original anymore and it had become sloppy thru various reproductions. The Vector Doctor digitized it for me and it looks pretty good in real life.
I also did new designs for her cards, bags, gift certificates and ads along with new sign faces and window graphics.

Those are not children. Those are zombies. Trust me on this one.

haha. That said, I also say bravo!!!! Good job on coming up with something different. Like seeing people mix it up and not always taking the easiest route.

JoySigns

It's nice to see something other than plasticade. Around here any A frame sign has to have a way to put sandbags (or some other type of weight)on it to hold it down, otherwise it would quickly be blown over and flying down the street.

Billct2

Yea, I would usually use 1/2" signply for something like this, but since it will see limited use and it has to be carried in and out by a small woman I didn't want to make it too beefy. The locking arm helps, it creates a rigid triangle which is pretty stable except in high winds.

signswi

Take a touch of cyan out of the faces for future work. :thumb:

Billct2

There is no cyan in them, that's beige spot color on the edge. I think it's just the photo thats off.

Last edited:

Craig Sjoquist

Nice job, creative thinking and it looks clean, light, durable enough,better then the normal.

Now you can start taking this further with other customers, offer a cutout holding the advertisement area, that's a great way to build sales just on one product.