• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Top coat for floor graphics

TX Signs

My customer has asked me to install a 20' x 20' graphic on a concrete floor of their training facility. The floor is pretty smooth, but it's not sealed. I've decided to go with my sign supplier's recommendation and use Arlon DPF 8000 and 3220 overlaminate. Here's my question - my customer wants the graphic to last for several years, so I want to apply a top coat over the laminated print. I need to use something that will create a non-slip surface. Suggestions please?!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, it could be altogether different today than years ago when we used to paint this stuff on the floors and clear over them, but according to what goes on in this training facility, if someone is dribbling a ball or running down court and comes upon a different surface tension, it could make things happen that are not supposed to happen under normal circumstances. In other words, the whole floor might have to have a complete coating. Besides, while a few mils doesn't sound like much to you or your distributor, it might mean a world of difference to someone who hits it, falls and breaks some bones or twists and injures a knee and has problems because you didn't have a proper coating on there. Insurance plays a big part in situations like this, especially since you'll be the one putting it down. You're now gonna be considered a floor expert too....... should something go wrong.
Good luck............​

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

Agreed, use a laminate made for floor graphics. Also do not tell him it will last years, floor graphics take a lot of abuse, I usually tell clients to expect 12-18 months, it's not like they are overly expensive.