• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Totally Random Yellow Drops -jv33

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
So, i have a new print head since last november. As of the end of feb 2011, my yellow stops printing either at the beginning of print, the middle of a print, or anywhere in between. This occurs randomly because, after multiple cleans, everything is fine. i am running four colors so, i can easly "trick" the machine by pulling the "Dropped" color cartridge out and it switches over to the other side. Note. the dropping of the yellow can occure for one side or both. its random. What isn't random is my vocal cords cursing at the walls. i can reboot the machine, do cleanings, head soaks, reboot windows, you name it. ( i really am suspecting my USB cable is the culprit.) When i do a head (color) test, there is not one single head missing. all the colors are there. (My suspicion of the cable is the following hypo, the color stripe works fine....)
Any ideas?
thanks for the read....
:rock-n-roll:
-Moshpit.

cptcorn

adad
When you say yellow is dropping. Do you mean:

A.) Does the yellow stop printing or is there a lack of yellow ink being laid down?

B.) Physical yellow drops of ink appear randomly within the print?

If the problem you're having relates to B.) then there is more than likely a piece of fuzz, lint, hair, dust getting attached to the head/nozzles. Ink builds up the contaminant as the printer is printing. As it builds up it will eventually drip off of the contaminant and onto your media creating a splotch or drop.

petesign

If you are talking about tiny little drops of yellow in your print, and its limited to that color only, I can 90% positively tell you that its a tiny little piece of fuzz that has attached itself to the metal side around the print head. Pull the service cover off on the left hand side of your machine, and with the power off, slide the head over the service area. Get you a flashlight and peer down along the metal square that holds the head (not sure what that's called so pardon my lack of technical terms).

You will likely see a thin piece of fuzz, or something hanging down off the head. What happens is, when the head goes along, and the fuzz is by the yellow, inevitably some ink gets stuck to the fuzz, eventually getting heavy enough to form a droplet and fall off. That explains why its random, and why its only one color. If you get too much fuzz on there, it will cease being droplets, and become streaks.

Check, i bet its there. And no amount of cleanings, head soaks, etc will get it off, you have to move the head and physically remove it with your fingers (fuzz likes to get stuck in the corners.)

nashvillesigns

the yellow stops printing

okay, i guess i was not as clear as i could be. when you do a print test, its shows all of the heads printed. when i lose yellow, either one goes of both go. i heavy cleaning can bring the yellow back. all the dampers are brand new. you will see the cyan, magenta, and black print stripe test results. its the yellow that seems to be "not printing" untill i do something else..

Shnyda

It's not the USB cable, but feel free to replace as it would be your cheapest fix. A USB cable does not split the feed of infomation into individual colors channels like a component video feed. This sounds like you are having electrical issues with the Yellow Print heads. If you installed a new head in November you should start with re-intalling or at least checking and cleaning all conections. Could be anything from a loose connection to a bad mother board. Good luck.

Gabriel

Please verify the print-head. Maybe has some dirt or something on it's surface. But if it's only yellow who's dropping, the you need to replace the dampers on yellow. The worst case scenario, if it's not the damper, might be the manifold.
Hope that helps!

nashvillesigns

well, everyone, i found out what was happening. in the ink station, one of the tee nuts was loose. this was causing the ink to leak everywhere. the leak dropped down and finally made itself known. i removed the cover, and traced it to the yellow cartridge line.