• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

training

I have a part time employee that is wanting to go full time. I told them I am willing to do that and help them get trained in the business. I am wanting them to learn the basic of designing in adobe and other software. We currently do vector art mostly vinyl signs or screen print shirts and would like to start offering customer more business options like business cards, fliers, etc. I would like this person to be trained in this area and help on designs for shirts and full color printing. I would like an online study course for them.

If anyone can recommend a training degree or classes I would like to look into it.

genericname

Lynda.com is a great place for tutorials, but you're dealing with technique there, and not talent. Does this employee actually show an aptitude towards a creative output?

It's one thing to support an employee through a training period. It's another thing entirely to put your business on hold to let them practice.

rjssigns

NWTC in Wisconsin offers online courses, but beware. If the employee is not dedicated and willing to set aside time everyday for coursework it will be a waste of money. Online courses are normally accelerated too, which means they will have to knock out a semesters work in eight weeks.

Another thing you have to realize is their is a ton more work to do with online courses. Why? Because that is the "gauge" for how well you grasp concepts. Instructors do not have you interacting in the classroom.

I would recommend a video conference type set-up. There is a scheduled time in a classroom(in front of a camera and monitor actually). Most colleges have tons of satellite training centers.

I have done them all in my college career and truly loathe accelerated online courses. I much prefer the classroom dynamic.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Ditto for Lynda.com, but only if your employee is a self-directed learner. If they need "hand-held" direct instruction, you might want to consider a community college.

JB