• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trouble in paradise

tintgirl2000

Using my Edge this morning ...doing a 2 color spot print. When the first color started (tomato red) it looked fine. About half way through the red, the color looks faded (almost like a texture). Tried printing something else, same thing. My color is not solid like it suppose to be. SOS Please help.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've had this happen only once in 10 years where it was the foil causing the problem. In that case I could hold it up to the light and see the irregularities of the pigment in the unprinted foil.

I have had a number of instances where certain combinations of colors, foil brands and vinyl brands did not get along. In these cases, the foils would print fine on other vinyls and other foils would print fine on the vinyl causing the problem.

Are either the foils you are using non-Gerber? Is the vinyl you are using non-Gerber?

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
check what fred said, and also check the vinyl.....i just got a roll of FDC white in and am in the process of returning it because there's a residue on the vinyl preventing the foil from adhering to the vinyl.....i wiped what i needed with denatured alcohol and the print was perfect....

graphixplus

Hold the foil up to a light. See if the foil has any issues (Holes) almost like there is not enough color on the ribbon.. I had a BAD Yellow about a week ago! Call the manufacturer or you supplier, they should replace it.
You may have to return the Bad one first.. Good Luck:beer

signpro

Manager
i had the same thing as Fenris... residue on the vinyl. check that for sure. clean the printhead (thermal head) on the gerber as well. wipe that strip down with some rubbing achohol pads. i've had weird markings on prints before if something get's on that thermal head.

wonsngis

You also might want to try cleaning the thermal head. You should have some cleaning pads. If not, you can use some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth.

As Fred said, however, this is a common symptom of a poor foil/vinyl combination. You may also want to try changing your heat (darkness) settings.

tintgirl2000

Genius!

Ya'll are great! Of course I tend to think the worst. Yes, I had just put a new roll of vinyl in my edge and didn't think about it until you did. I had been using 3M 180C, but was going try Avery A6. Ya'll probably know bettter but I didn't. Fellers told me there was no difference in using it with the Edge. I asked when I ordered. Anyway, Put in my other 180 and you know the good news. Perfect.
Appreciate it guys. You made a girl's day even better!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
You also might want to try cleaning the thermal head. You should have some cleaning pads. If not, you can use some rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth.

i've only ever used the gerber cleaning pads....i don't even use the ones that 09 sends with their cartridges.....which by the way, i've found tend to leave more residue on the head.....