• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Truck Lettering Pricing

Firepowertx

Hey guys! I tried searching but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. What ballpark would y'all charge for doing a truck like the one below? Turn key from design to install.

IMG_6714.jpeg
IMG_6715.jpeg

unclebun

Looks like they got it from the cheapest vinyl letters in town place. Doesn't even use the same font as their sign.

ikarasu

I agree... All too low.
20. Ft vinyl minimum to print that - so 85 sqft of vinyl.... Even at $5 a sqft that'd be $500.

You have "design" if you could call it that, all the weeding, installing... Aligning a dozen or so pieces of cut vinyl, vinyl materials ... Should be closer to 1k minimum.... I wouldn't touch it for under 1k, we'd probably be in the 1 - 1.2k all in.

We'd also be using proper cast vinyl and not some Calendar, permanent crap though.

Last edited:

Firepowertx

The entire thing.... At a MINIMUM add a white outline. And read a book on color...

Is this a good start?
IMG_6723.jpeg

I did have to talk them out of adding gold… I do appreciate the feedback and will work on adding things when I am collaborating with clients. I am fairly new at this and kind of just fell into it so I’m trying to learn as I go. I want to keep getting better but design has never been my strong suit, as you all seem to agree.

ikarasu

Is this a good start?
View attachment 172603

I did have to talk them out of adding gold… I do appreciate the feedback and will work on adding things when I am collaborating with clients. I am fairly new at this and kind of just fell into it so I’m trying to learn as I go. I want to keep getting better but design has never been my strong suit, as you all seem to agree.
Why don't you tell us what you charged, so we can see where you're at?

And it doesn't matter if we like the design or not, All that matters is if the customer likes it.

I've put out some of the worst shit I've ever seen... Couldn't talk the customer out of it. They loved the end product...

It's not... bad per say, and maybe its on brand with their branding. I would have added a white border to it... Maybe stuck with their blue, Done it in the same font as their logo... I get the green tree, but their logo / branding its blue... Maybe kept it consistent? Well, to be honest I wouldn't have touched it... I'm not a graphics designer, and I know my limitations in graphic designing! I'd have made the above changes, and maybe it'd have been slightly better, easier to read... but still not "professional". Thats why we have graphics artists, or even freelancers we hire for stuff like this... I do what I'm good at, and let others do what theyre good at

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Is this a good start?
View attachment 172603

Look up "Light Reflective Value" You want contrast between text and background. The colors you use have too close of LRV to the truck paint to be seen easily, that's why adding a white border or background like Visual did makes it look more professional. There are also books on sign layout that will be helpful. There are trade magazines out there with design ideas.. and there's always good to search for other car designs to get inspiration hopefully from people that did it well.

Firepowertx

Why don't you tell us what you charged, so we can see where you're at?

And it doesn't matter if we like the design or not, All that matters is if the customer likes it.

I've put out some of the worst shit I've ever seen... Couldn't talk the customer out of it. They loved the end product...

It's not... bad per se, and maybe its on brand with their branding. I would have added a white border to it... Maybe stuck with their blue, Done it in the same font as their logo... I get the green tree, but their logo / branding its blue... Maybe kept it consistent? Well, to be honest I wouldn't have touched it... I'm not a graphics designer, and I know my limitations in graphic designing! I'd have made the above changes, and maybe it'd have been slightly better, easier to read... but still not "professional". Thats why we have graphics artists, or even freelancers we hire for stuff like this... I do what I'm good at, and let others do what theyre good at
It’s a friend so I haven’t charged yet but I was thinking about the $600-$800 range. They picked the colors which do match their brand but the outline would have helped, I just didn’t think to add one. The font actually matches an older sign they have, that big one got installed later and I missed changing the font. I should have paid better attention to that.

Thankfully they are very happy with it. They have a van that will need to be done soon too so I will take all this advice and work on figuring out some better ways to make it look more professional before starting.

Firepowertx

Look up "Light Reflective Value" You want contrast between text and background. The colors you use have too close of LRV to the truck paint to be seen easily, that's why adding a white border or background like Visual did makes it look more professional. There are also books on sign layout that will be helpful. There are trade magazines out there with design ideas.. and there's always good to search for other car designs to get inspiration hopefully from people that did it well.
Thanks. I’ll look for those. This is very helpful.