• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Twitter

James Chrimes

I started a twitter account yesterday... I am hoping to have it lead into a blog about sign related stuff as well as my own thoughts on differant tools and software. I know Doug has an account there, but was wondering if many of the newer people to the trade were following twitter and such?

AUTO-FX

I gotta take it easy - I'm still acclimating to Facebook. Just havent warmed up entirely to the whole social media scene yet. Maybe i should go over and have a look around. I hate to think I'm missing out on the latest from "Sharlie Sheen". Hah.

Letterbox Mike

Yup, we have a twitter account and a facebook account for the business. We actually have a company that manages them for us, we feed them some basic content and concepts and they manage all of the activity from there. If you do it right it works, we don't get an enormous amount of business from it but we do get some, and it's a great way to keep yourself "top of mind" with your clients. Just one more way to put yourself in front of them.

Linked In is another good one to look into...

James Chrimes

We have been using facebook for quite a while now and we get quite a bit of business from it although we use it mostly to promote our customers that we have done work for. I am looking at twitter and a blog as a way to share some of what I have learned over the years with others. I am also working to incorporate more of the newer techniques into sign designs. Use of digital painting with wacom tablets and such mixed with classic techinques such as smalts and gold leaf. Going to use it as a place to unload my head full of ideas.

iSign

Hi Brian, just noticed your post... Been a while... good to see you posting here...

James, I just saw you follow me, and noticed you looked to be new to twitter...
I am no expert, and give almost no energy to twitter at this point, but I have an automated "follow-back" script with a custom "thanks for the follow" message, and it has been ratcheting up my "follows" and "followers" for the last year, without any attention from me...

I believe it has merit, and anticipate greater participation in the future...

Insignia, do you use a local company or an online company?
I have thought quite a bit about a service like that... including offering it myself, but also investing in someone else providing that service to Island Sign... PM their contact info, or website if they are providing this service on line. Thanks!

James, don't wait on that blog... I think it is the hub around which all other social media needs to built around... Do you read Dan Sawatzky's Facebook updates at all? virtually every one gives just enough info to spark curiosity about his topic, and then links to his blog for more info... I think that is a model to pay attention to...

Letterbox Mike

Doug, we use a local person for that. I don't know if she'd want to take on a long-distance one like that or not, but we have a meeting with her this afternoon so I'll ask her for you. She charges us about $150 per month (I don't know if it would be more for a long-distance client since it might be a bit trickier to manage for her) so it's very reasonable, and she's sort of a social media guru so she's pretty good at getting followers and making them the pages functional as a marketing tool.