• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News Two-step verification

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm no techy in any sense of the word. I can use my programs and stuff around the shop and my house, but with all that stuff a phone can do, there's just more to go wrong.

What happens when you get close to your vehicle and the doors unlock, becasue your arms and hands are full ?? Does a little birdie open the door for you ??
What happens if your phone has a glitch and cannot function ?? You're up that creek without your paddle, huh ??
What happens if you drop your phone and it completely breaks ?? Your house functions are gone, your truck functions are gone, you can't pay your bills by phone or call anyone for help.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Invariably, security protocols are put in place to protect the people putting them in place and make them feel warm and fuzzy. These protocols do little but inconvenience those forced to use them. My lack of interest in the security of various on line activities, such as this one, approaches total.

The only possible exception to this might be for sites executing financial transactions. But then, in my never humble opinion, anyone who manages their finances on line is a fool and deserves everything that happens to them. Or can happen to them.

WildWestDesigns

The only possible exception to this might be for sites executing financial transactions. But then, in my never humble opinion, anyone who manages their finances on line is a fool and deserves everything that happens to them. Or can happen to them.
I would be concerned about medical as well, but that's just me. Ironically though, even if you yourself didn't manage anything online, that doesn't mean that the institutions that you use haven't and let's be honest, a lot of security whoas at that are from people that were supposedly safe guarding others info.

One of the many reasons why I'm not too fond of this totally connected world and depending more and more on that tech. I hate to see what happens with the build that depend on whatever AI web scraper (at least how it is now) is available one second and gone the next and they have to do something without it.

Johnny Best

If you have an IPhone someone else can use AirDrop within a few feet of your phone and can secure information off your phone. Just learned how to do it the other day.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm no techy in any sense of the word. I can use my programs and stuff around the shop and my house, but with all that stuff a phone can do, there's just more to go wrong.

What happens when you get close to your vehicle and the doors unlock, becasue your arms and hands are full ?? Does a little birdie open the door for you ??
What happens if your phone has a glitch and cannot function ?? You're up that creek without your paddle, huh ??
What happens if you drop your phone and it completely breaks ?? Your house functions are gone, your truck functions are gone, you can't pay your bills by phone or call anyone for help.
You wave your foot under the chevy logo and the liftgate opens up.

ikarasu

Much easier.to balance a box of tools or a handful of vinyl in one arm and pull a door open than it is to balance it in one arm, fumble for your keys in your pocket, hit unlock, open it, then put your keys away.

If my phone has a glitch.. it's a good thing I still have to carry my keys / wallet with me. But even if I didn't, it's easy enough to reboot my phone to fix any issues it's having.

If I drop my phone and it breaks, I'd be more sad I need to buy another 1.5k phone. All settings are backed up to google - I just replaced my phone with an s23 ultra. It took about 10 mins to download / restore all my settings from Google.

The phone is a convenient way to do all the above functions, it's not strictly a "replacement". I've been doing the smart home thing for 10 years, it's gotten a lot better than 10 years ago - it's super simple, and stable enough to not have any glitches now.

JBurton

Signtologist
it's super simple, and stable enough to not have any glitches now.
Tell that to the ghost in my daughter's bedroom light that keeps turning it off at odd hours! It seems like every time I buy a 4 pack of bulbs, 2 will not program until I give up out of frustration, and resume the next weekend. Then you get to do the super fun ge light reset procedure...
For those who don't want to watch, the video is 10 minutes long... enough said.

WildWestDesigns

it's a good thing I still have to carry my keys / wallet with me.
What a minute:
... I've been known to forget my wallet at home...

I wonder how often that that happens, it has to be often enough that you are "known" for that.

Being too connected I think has actually been quite harmful as well, not even thinking about the dumpster fire sites out there, but just in sheer laziness in learning things. We have people that grew up with all this tech and still don't know the basics of file/folder systems or even how to manually save. We were out of internet here for probably 12 hrs and imagine what SaaS program that y'all probably use that would have not been usable to it's fullest without that internet connection. Or for some probably not able to use AI to scrape the web to help with design ideas. And down internet could affect other things on the LAN depending on what other hardware one is running. Local servers, networked devices etc. May or may not be the case. Just depends on the setup.

WildWestDesigns

Attached article was behind at bare minimum an account sign in, so that is all that I got a capture of.

This is what happens when one prioritizes convenience the most. I also don't think that this is uncommon, at least compared to how much it seems to be downplayed. Wouldn't be the first time that companies tried to mitigated the damage to us to only find out a year or so later that the problem was actually more widespread and may actually have been a hardware/software issue that allowed the problem to exist in the first place.

Don't think I'm a luddite, I really do enjoy my tech(why I actually like to also make sure for about 95% of my software/hardware that I use, that it's open with full documentation, because I have been known to tweak things to get the most out of the software/hardware for my needs and I tend to favor self hosted as well if it's feasible and I have the knowledge to feel comfortable about doing it myself). But have to remember, even a good idea can go to crap really easily depending on how it is executed. I have a feeling that that happens quite a bit of the time in the tech world.

Attachments

• phone.png
    phone.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 69