• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Type glyphs not in X5???

Colin

I've discovered that X5 still doesn't show all of the alternate characters in the glyphs chart when working with Open Type fonts; is there a way (macro?) to get that to happen?

If I select "Insert Symbol Character" under the Text menu, a chart will show, but not all characters are shown.

C'mon Corel!

Colin

Ya, but given that it's 2011, and Corel has been making Draw for many years, could it really have been that tough for them to get on this for X5?

CanuckSigns

i ran across this myself, one of our good customers was using the font Kievit, which has a separate set of characters for the numbers, I found out that corel doesn't support all the features of the opentype format (in this case proportional lining) and there was absolutely no way of accessing them in Draw, I ended up opening it in AI and converting to outlines and bringing it into Draw. pain in the a$$

SignosaurusRex

As far as I know, Adobe® programs and QuarkXPress are the only programs that support full access to all of the special characters, ligatures, or contextual alternates that may exist in an OpenType font. :rolleyes: My understanding is that Adobe® (in conjunction with Microsoft) created the OpenType format.
You can bet that if and when Corel, Flexi and others do support full access to font glyphs, the price of those programs will increase substantially. Adobe® wants there cut of the action.

Colin

.....I ended up opening it in AI and converting to outlines and bringing it into Draw. pain in the a$$

Ya, it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do too. I have Illy 5.5, but I've never been an Illy user, so perhaps I should get to know it better.

It just seems so lame that Corel didn't do this for X5.

SignosaurusRex

Ya, it looks like that's what I'm going to have to do too. I have Illy 5.5, but I've never been an Illy user, so perhaps I should get to know it better.

It just seems so lame that Corel didn't do this for X5.

I know what you mean and I feel the same, but.......whata ya gonna do other than run other programs simply as a support.
How do you think Steve C feels when he's one of the guys creating fonts for the sign industry.....knowing that many programs don't have full support. It's got to be a real biatch trying to determine which character gets staged in the base character map.

Colin

Colin, did you select "All Charactors" in the Code Pages drop down menu?

I'm not on that computer right now (it's in the shop, all turned off) but I think I did try that; it shows some characters, but not all of the special characters, ligatures, or contextual alternates that were revealed in the OpenType font in Illy.

Steve C.

The new script I'm working on has dozens of alternates and auto ligatures. I
notice that they were not showing up in Corel until I selected All Characters.
Just make sure next time you are at the PC.

Attachments

• Capture a.JPG
    Capture a.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 111

Steve C.

Most older fonts are ttf. Newer ones are created as otf, but I'm still offering
ttf. as well. This new one look really cool when you can use an adobe program
that offers auto ligatures. Corel not offering this feature has been a big
PITA for me. I'm still using X3 and I will not upgrade until Corel offers it.
If I could afford Illy I'd switch in a Heartbeat!

Colin

I double checked, and yes, I did select the "All Characters", but not all of them do show, as they do in Illy.