• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UJF-3042 Y-belt replacement

kehall

Has anyone replaced the carriage (Y-belt) on their printer - the service manual doesn't discuss that particular topic so only have the mechanical drawings and printer in front of me to decide how best to proceed (belt has aged rubber and stripped teeth).

drawing.PNG

The issue is that the clamping plates that hold the belt to the head carriage assembly are attacked from behind the head assembly, so at the very least the linear encoder strip has to come out assuming could fabricate a small enough right angle JIS screwdriver to tease out the retaining screws, as also the main Y-bar (which supports the slider etc and through which the back of the belt passes) is in the way.

20240702_114832p.jpg 20240702_114816p.jpg

Could also remove the entire head assembly from the sliders but could be tricky getting the tension in the belt (probably have to remove one pulley, right hand side I guess). Alternatively the whole linear way could come out but risk upsetting the parallelism of it relative to the table etc or worse, a slight warp (and still have tension problems).

I'm erring towards removing the head slider base to the sliders (a couple of screws each slider, if I can get to them) and hope they're dowelled or otherwise fixed locations as to not upset head tilt.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Last edited: