• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ultravu 260 - Colorburst 8.2 Lin File

Tovis

So Version 8.2 is in and working, now I am trying to create a and install a lin file for the printer.

After finally getting it to scan, it says in the outputs are too low and will not allow me to use the file.

Any suggestions?

Rooster

Adjust your ink limits to lay down more ink and redo the lin file. It's telling you that your primaries are not saturated enough compared to the previous lin file.

It's either that or redo the profile based off the new linearization.

Tovis

But the odd thing are with the default lin file everything is really heavy.

Isn't the linerization process to assess the ink limits?

Or, can you adjust ink limits and get closer with the linerization?

Rooster

If your ink limits seem to be fine then re-profile the media.

The ink limits say how much ink can flow. The linearization measures the flow and adjusts it. You adjust ink limits to reduce over inking a sheet. You linearize to make sure you're going to get a 50% cyan when you ask for a 50% cyan.

Once you've linearized the machine the profile can be created, and then you'll only ever need to relinearize if the printer calibration wanders off to return accuracy back to the profile. Except in a case with a RIP like the colorburst. It checks to make sure that the new linearization file can produce the same color depth as the previous settings (within a set allowable margin). If it determines that the new linearization file cannot produce the brightness or saturation of the old file, then it voids the lin file and forces you to re-profile.

You never mentioned if you were profiling in-house or not. Also if you're creating a new lin file with a media that isn't the same as the media that was linearized/profiled before you'll drive yourself nuts trying to get it to work. You need the same or better white point and the same or better Dmax to get a different media to work.

Tovis

I am trying to create the profiles in-house using an eye-one isis.

when I tried a test print from a photo with the lin file I created it was almost entirely red.

What I did, in colorburst was, turn off ink limits, and turned off everything it said to turn of to create the lin profile.

Then I sent the 20 step lin file to the printer and it printed it on canvas.

I let it dry and fed it into the isis.

The isis read it and allowed me to save the lin file.

I installed the lin file and ran a sample print.

That sample print was almost entirely red.

Is canvas to hard to do a linerization on, should I try it on something else, scan it and use it on the canvas?

I didn't even attempt to create a profile because the linerization appears to be off if everything is red.

Rooster

When I linearize canvas I will read the strip a few times and average the results. This reduces the impact that any highlights or shadows from the textured surface will have on the results. I've profiled a lot of canvas over the years and always had very good results. I can't see any reason why your eye one isis would generate results any worse than my old DTP41.

I'm not sure how much red you're seeing, but the profile should correct it. I run my ink limits waaaay high in the cyan and magenta channels. Printing without a profile would generate some ugly prints on my system as well. Once you profile it, it should work fine.

Some do prefer to try and create a neutral print by adjusting the ink limits prior to profiling, but I find that as long as my profiles and linerizations are good it really doesn't matter how far off the prints look prior to profiling. I like the better blues and reds I get from the higher ink limits.

eye4clr

Let me make as wild ass guess...Is it a gloss canvas?

If so, the light bouncing off the texture of the canvas surface may make it unreadable. The solution is a polarizing filter. Unfortunatly they are only available on the old Spectrolino/Spectroscan instruments, (AFAIK) not the i1.

The simple solution is go with a matte canvas.

Mochistlan

colorburst with ultra vu 260

I have seen this before. its the format of the lin file. if you open a lin file already in the rip.( open with note pad ) and if you open the file of what you have red, the format is different. you will noticed when you open both files in note pad and compared them. then you need to change your new file on the format of the originals files. the the colorbusrt will take the format.

I hope this helps