• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Undefined paper

ilmt

for anyone that has read my other post with my color ink not printing, these two errors are no related.

i only say that because i had this happen to me before i had my issue with color not coming out.

when the printer turns on, it has to confirm the paper. however, 99% of the time it has no problem confirming it, however, sometimes it attempts to scan it and i get the undefined message. i have never changed the paper type and this is my second roll. so i know the roll is not the issue. i am not sure of the number off hand, but i know it is oracal white vinyl.

i have turned the machine on and off about 10 times now with no luck. usually 5 or 6 reboots and it finally confirms it, but not today.

ilmt

i would like to add that when it does finally confirm the paper, i don't have any more problems until i replace a roll or take all the paper out and then feed it back in. btw, all of this stuff is done with the power off (replacing paper and or feeding paper back under the rubber holders).

ahollow

Are you sure your right side alignment is in the center of the row of holes? Check the manual for a picture of where the material needs to be in relation to the row of holes, if it is off by 5mm, you will get an undefined paper error. If the paper is just slightly cocked, you could print for quite a while until getting an error. If it is really cocked, the printer will stop and display "Paper Slant" error.

ilmt

Are you sure your right side alignment is in the center of the row of holes? Check the manual for a picture of where the material needs to be in relation to the row of holes, if it is off by 5mm, you will get an undefined paper error. If the paper is just slightly cocked, you could print for quite a while until getting an error. If it is really cocked, the printer will stop and display "Paper Slant" error.

i will check this right now, however, my vinyl roll is locked into place, so it should always be in the same spot.

thanks for the tip, going to go check now.

ilmt

ok, i tried that...my paper seems to be in the right spot. however, i think we are talking about 2 different errors.

if the paper was mis aligned wouldnt it throw a paper game or media error?

that is what the manual says anyway. the machine has no problem feeding a few inches of the paper forward, then rolls it back and stops right when it crosses the sensor.

i get the error once the print head moves over a few inches of the white vinyl paper.

this is frustrating.

ilmt

ok, so i made sure i aligned it like the book said, although i never did this from day one, i must have gotten lucky and placed it in the proper spot.

i tried everything to get it to align, still no luck.

one thing i noticed in my last attempt, it was feeding the paper backwards to try to find the front end of it, over the sensor, and it rolled right off the rollers. not forward, i didn't have it on sheet mode, so it wasn't trying to find the end of my sheet. i did have it on roll and it just fed right off of the rollers.

i put the paper back under the rollers and tried to confirm the paper again, but nothing, undefined again. i cant continue to troubleshoot my original issue because i cant do anything until this paper is confirmed....why me? again, no problems yesterday or the day before, etc....

ilmt

i purposely slanted the paper and i did not receive this error. this leads me to believe that a sensor is bad.

where can i find replacement sensors online?

anyone know?