• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

uneven cutting

mread

My FC8000 60 recently started cutting unevenly. The right side of the 24" vinyl cuts perfectly, but by the time it gets over to the left side, the blade barely makes a mark in the vinyl. I'm cutting 3M 3290 reflective, engineer grade vinyl. The machine is only 1 year old, not used heavily, but I do cut alot of reflective when I cut. I've tried changing the blade from the usual blue cap holder with a 45 blade to a red cap with a 60 degree blade, lowering the blade, raising the blade, changing the force. Lowering the blade and increasing the force seems to help a little, but doesn't solve it entirely. I've ordered a new cutter strip, but am wondering if others have had this problem and what their solutions have been.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Ajmotofx

i just picked one of these up about 6 months ago for a large reflective job i was doing, i found on thick reflective i had better luck using position 3 and not cut on the cutting strip.

mread

OK, I tried that but got lots of distortion. Definitely not the solution for me.

I think I might have not positioned the blade holder in the bracket correctly, because I put it back in number 1 position and did a test and it now it cuts perfectly. Lesson learned...make sure the bracket is ABOVE the flange before you tighten it. Simple, phew!

CS-SignSupply-TT

You need to check the BPS blade protection strip for cuts, dings, and grooves. Run your index finger the length of the BPS. If you find cuts, dings, or grooves, you need to replace the BPS. While you are waiting for the replacement, you can run a piece of vinyl the length of the BPS for a temporary fix.