• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

upgrading hp 5000 to 5000ps?

kra

Is it possible to upgrade an hp5000 to a 5000ps just by changing the boot rom dimm to the ps version?
I looked in the service manual and this seems to be the only difference maybe.
thanks for any help.
Randy

kra

I don't have a rip yet.
Just got the printer a couple of days ago.
I just thought updating the firmware and changing the bootrom dimm might be all there was to updating printer to ps version.
Randy

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
My suggestion....get a Rip for it. The computer you can build is faster that that of the on-board cpu. Once the rip station chews thru it...much faster...it starts to print a lot faster too. Usually you have better control of color as well as nesting capabilities.

Matt Cuellar

The .ps module is an easy way to control your color and add some capabilities to your printer. But I would recommend getting a 3rd party RIP like Wasatch or Onyx to give you full control. Your print process times will be 2-3x faster than the .ps module, will give you complete control over your profiles and color management and will be a more robust tool. You can get an HP only edition copy of Wasatch for $1,500. Great stuff.

kra

Just a follow-up.

I figured out how to upgrade 5000 to Post Script version.
Changed bootrom dimm and hard drive and loaded new firmware and it worked great.
It did take a while to figure out how to send firmware to printer. System maintainance will not work when you have an empty hard drive. I used dos copy command (from win 98 boot disk A: prompt) to send file to LPT1 from an old drive (fat32) that I saved the firmware file to.
I will be getting rip when I can better afford it, but hopefully this will get me by for a little while.
Total cost was under $45.00 (I had the hard drive already).

Randy