• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

usb to serial converter

amy s.

I got a new motherboard last year...now have no serial port for my Gerver IVb that I use to cut mask. I got a ugreen USB to Serial adapter, installed it, installed the drivers....nothing. I have the plotter on Com I where it is supposed to be. The converter is on 4 where I think it is ok to be. Does anybody know why it isn't making the plotter respond? I'm using Flexi8 and winxp (I know, I know, but I have to use it to make this old plotter work that cuts heavy mask perfectly.). Any thoughts?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've never used a USB to Serial converter ... always used a plug in comm card, but I don't understand why you would think that the comm ports should not be the same. Try switching the comm port in Flexi Production Manager to the same comm port that the USB is telling you it is.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Try using the USB port on Flexi or, even better, power the Gerber on with the communication cable plugged in and then open Flexi. Go to change port and see if USB_Printer_0 is now an option. If it is, choose that one.

T_K

attachment.php

Attachments

• always_a_way.jpg
    always_a_way.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 239

Brandon708

Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter

When I upgraded my computer several months back I ran in the same issue with connecting my Graphtec. I called Graphtec and they told me to get one A Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter.
https://www.tripplite.com/keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS/

Not sure if you need a 9-pin though but that's what I needed.

It works great!
You don't have to order it on that site. I think I found one on Amazon if I can remember correctly.

I hope this helps.

T_K

Nice going Mcgyver

I'm wondering how long that reference will still have any meaning behind it. I'm old enough to have caught reruns. But in another 10 years, would that just be a phrase that no one recalls why they even use it?

fixtureman

I'm wondering how long that reference will still have any meaning behind it. I'm old enough to have caught reruns. But in another 10 years, would that just be a phrase that no one recalls why they even use it?

they are bringing it back this fall

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide

My Nephew loves McGyver and watches the reruns like they just came out yesterday! Hopefully it will be around for a long time.

w2csa

A few thoughts:
Check to see if there are settings in the driver for baud, stop bit, etc., they should match the settings in Flexi.
Perhaps you might need a null modem?

SignBurst PCs

I don't know which motherboard you have, but here are a few suggestions:

1. Your motherboard may have a serial header on the board. If so, you just need to find a cable and backplate. They are only a few bucks.
2. You may be able to add-in a PCI or PCI Express Serial Add-in card.
3. Gerber sells a compatible USB/Serial cable. I have seen folks try and use third-party cables with varied success, but the Gerber cables always seem to work.

I hope this helps. If not, feel free to contact me. I will do my best to help you out.

amy s.

My Hero!!!

I've never used a USB to Serial converter ... always used a plug in comm card, but I don't understand why you would think that the comm ports should not be the same. Try switching the comm port in Flexi Production Manager to the same comm port that the USB is telling you it is.
Thanks a million, again, Fred!! You saved my life once before in helping me get this set up years ago and again now. I opened Production Manager like you said, selected the plotter I'm using now, changed the port setting to 4 where the serial converter is and.....it worked!! I'm cutting mask again. This old 4b is still amazing, sprocket fed, accurate cuts, no problem cutting the thickest mask, works every time. Now, if you can tell me where I can buy a new bale arm for it (mine is crumbling), I'm set. Thanks again, Fred, for your help on this.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Now, if you can tell me where I can buy a new bale arm for it (mine is crumbling), I'm set. Thanks again, Fred, for your help on this.

:pops_blinking: I have an old, used pair that isn't crumbling that is free to the first Premium Subscriber that asks me for them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GSP Bail.jpg
    GSP Bail.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 252

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sorry, I used the wrong term....probably roller is the name.

Yup ... that's the bail roller. The rubber eventually goes bad on them, usually melts. If it's dried out and crumbling, try wrapping it with a piece of cast vinyl cut to size. If melting, then scrape the rubber off down to a clean metal roller, measure the diameter of the shaft, and get a piece of polyurethane tubing to replace the rubber. That particular part doesn't do anything that requires a precise fit.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Bail Arm Roller Cover Alternative

Go to the auto parts store and get a length of fuel line. Lightly moisten the metal bar with water and push the fuel line from one end. Trim to suit.

All said, you should have less than $2.50 into it.

JB

amy s.

Yup ... that's the bail roller. The rubber eventually goes bad on them, usually melts. If it's dried out and crumbling, try wrapping it with a piece of cast vinyl cut to size. If melting, then scrape the rubber off down to a clean metal roller, measure the diameter of the shaft, and get a piece of polyurethane tubing to replace the rubber. That particular part doesn't do anything that requires a precise fit.
Thanks again, Fred. You guys are great.

netsol

choose the usb port

[if you can't use the usb port, (it should work just fine with. the lmk interface & a 4b) look at the list of ports in your program. there might be more than one. if there is a 2nd usb port, select it and try again. you still may have to change speed settings on the usb port. i can try to help with that.

to me, the easiest way is to install a pci express serial card in the pc. just go to amazonand search pci express serial card. it will be no more than $15.

you can email me and i will reply with my cell #. i can talk you through the install in 10 minutes. when it's done you will be on com 3 or 4 but everything will work just like before. that's not always the case with lmk's (lettering machine kit) a piece of 80's technology that doesn't always play well with usb

if you want i can try to talk you through port settings for the usb convertor, after we verify proper installation

andy