• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Used Summa S75D value and what to look for (wear etc) ?

Haakon

While looking through the local classifieds I came over a used Summa S75 with drag knife for 9500NOK, which equates to about 1200USD. Even without asking I know this is a bargain, as I most likely can get at least 6-700 dollars for my Roland GX-24 if I upgrade to the Summa. The size (75cm) is not a problem for me. Prints are outsourced anyway, and in the last years I can count on one hand how many times I've needed a full size (48") plotter. Those times another shop have helped me out.

So I have pretty much made my mind up on this. However, what should I ask about and look for when it comes to wear and tear on a machine like this?

rjssigns

Check for signs of abuse like nicks, scratches, paint spatter, excessive dust, broken covers etc... Bring a couple files from your shop to test function. Run some media through while watching the tracking. If loaded correctly they will track perfectly straight.

To be honest I'm not sure they wear out. Our D610 is about 12 years old and hasn't needed anything except blades.

Haakon

I asked the seller to contact me, and he did just after I made this thread. It turns out that this machine is about 5 years old, but have seen very little use - and for the last two years no use at all. They had this and a S120D, small one for cutting transfer vinyl (hotmark etc) and the bigger one for vehicle graphics and so on. But they only really used the larger one for everything, and now they had invested in two S2 140T units. The old S120D had been snapped up immediately (3 days ago). This was still up for sale.

So I decided to buy it, these never come up for sale over here. First one I've seen since looking into these about 4 years ago. Just need to make arrangements for picking it up, it's a 6 hour drive away. From the pics in the ad it looks in great shape, and it's from a reputable company. I'll take my chances with this :)

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/annonse?finnkode=56384486&WT.synd_type=finnbox

rjssigns

I'd say you did very well. You're in for a treat when you run it. You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

Haakon

Hehe, the only reason I haven't bought one yet is because I didn't want to put myself in debt over equipment... and it does take some time putting away money to buy up front. Moving from my home basement to a proper shop/garage has been costly.

On the plus side, my soon 5 year old Roland GX-24 has been a proper workhorse, and have put trough about $80k worth of cut graphics over that period. It just has its limitations, the biggest being poor tracking over longer runs.

Haakon

Today I finally got my S75D delivered :)

All the shipping companies wanted more or less $1000 to ship it (welcome to Norway..) so I chose to wait until my cousin that drives a semitruck was passing through that area. Free shipping - $1000 saved.

I'm looking to stock up on some new blades as it only came with the one in the holder. But I can just find D series (summacut) blades. Are these the same in the D series and S series with drag knife? The Tangential ones are different right? I can find these over here, but they are for the T models only yes?

rjssigns

Today I finally got my S75D delivered :)

All the shipping companies wanted more or less $1000 to ship it (welcome to Norway..) so I chose to wait until my cousin that drives a semitruck was passing through that area. Free shipping - $1000 saved.

I'm looking to stock up on some new blades as it only came with the one in the holder. But I can just find D series (summacut) blades. Are these the same in the D series and S series with drag knife? The Tangential ones are different right? I can find these over here, but they are for the T models only yes?

Not sure if the blades are interchangeable. You shouldn't need many though. As I recall I've only had three in mine over 12 or 13 years. First one was seven years old and cutting fine, but I wanted to see the edge. (7 years is not a typo) Took it out, dropped in on the concrete and ruined it.:covereyes:
That first blade cut many, many miles/kilometers of material.

Haakon

Yesterday evening I finally got round to rearrange my workspace, retire my GX-24 and set up the S75D in its place. Got it in place, connected it to power and the computer and looked around in the menus. Ran some quick tests (blade pressure and "confidence test") and it worked perfectly!

I'm using flexicut (flexistarter) as cutting software, and it has drivers for Summa cutters. I found mine and set ut up (with Summa USB as a choice in the meny for connection type). However, I was not able to get a connection, cutter is not responding to poll size request, and Production Manager states "cannot open port" or something to that effect, so the job won't go through..

I did not get the CD that is supposed to come with the cutter, but I see that drivers are available onlline. Does it need these installed on the PC beforehand maybe? In addition to the driver in the Flexi software? Will try to install these when I'm back at the office.