• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Using A Laser Level ???

lkt1954

As always I am thinking of ways to make an installation job easier. I am wondering if a laser level (self-leveling would be the best) would work when applying lettering to a vehicle? We have 10 vehicles to do with the same lettering for the doors, front & rear fenders, crew cab doors, etc that all need to be in line height wise with each other. Before I spend the money I was looking for some input here. I would think you could attach it to the vehicle with like the 3M command, determine my side to side spacing and then use the laser beam to get your heights the same and to make sure it is straight.
Any thoughts here on this working and/or what laser to buy if it would work?

Thanks
Larry

ddarlak

Go Bills!
vehicles have too many lines that aren't level to try and level the graphics. i've always done it by eye, it's the only way.

sometimes a little off level will make it level...

ThinkRight

take some measurements and make a template to tape to each vehicle.
Very fast and accurate.
/ sheet of scrap vinyl the same dimension of the body part with space cut out where the letters and / or art is placed.
....?

JoshLoring

I use a laser for some things- diecuts mostly. Ultimately you still will install by eye but using a laser plus eye leveling works good for multiple diecut leveling. You can always use your line plus tape measure.
Get one that projects from far away- put it on a tripod and project from afar. Dont get one that attaches to the vehicle.

cdiesel

No vehicles are level. The ground may be unlevel, trucks and vans have a rake, even passenger cars don't sit level. If you use a laser level, the graphics may be level with that line, but that will be all. It will look crooked to all of the body lines.

Determine which body lines to measure off of and use a tape measure. Seamstress tapes (fabric) are best for accuracy.

CheapVehicleWrap

Level line on crooked vehicle = crooked graphics... cheap.

I know someone who put windows in their van. Installed like they were doing a house. Windows were crooked.

airborneassault

We have an old cheap laser level that is actually really cheesy but comes in super handy, on this particular one there's a dial you can spin on the back and it adjusts the laser so I can actually project it to follow the body line of the vehicle.

weaselboogie

laser levels are for solid structures not going anywhere. How do you know that your floor is exactly level? what about installing on any sort of incline? A tire is low/ a tire is high / wrong size tire. USE BODY LINES

2B

laser levels are for solid structures not going anywhere. How do you know that your floor is exactly level? what about installing on any sort of incline? A tire is low/ a tire is high / wrong size tire. USE BODY LINES

too many variables to use the laser as the definitive line to follow on vehicles. Yes they help to get the general location to stick but not the final say, your judgement is what you have to use

lkt1954

Thanks for all the advise on this subject. I have been using my eye and measuring from various body parts and have been doing ok with this. Just thought having a reference line would speed up the process.

Thanks
Larry

mgieske

laser levels can be very handy when set to be parallel with respect to a body line and mostly useful for larger graphics or wraps

GB2

Old Member
I think laser levels can be a valuable tool. Of course as stated, vehicles are inherently not level and the ground can be not level but naturally, unless you were a fool, you would check those things first. Even if you don't use the laser level to check for level or plumb, you can still use it to establish a straight line for any purpose.

Signed Out

We use a laser level somtimes when body lines are all over the place and curved and such.

The laser level must NOT be self leveling. get one that you adjust the level so you can line the laser to a body line whether it is level or not and whether the floor is level or not. They don't work very well on black vehicles either, 4" transfer tape helps with this.