• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

UV laminate

ddarlak

Go Bills!
any one know if there is a rating system or numerical value for the UV laminates out on the market?

for instance:

ORAGUARD 210 offers a high level of UV protection @ .33 sqft

LAMEX 2mil offers a superior level of UV protection @ .55 sqft

ORAGUARD 290 2mil offers a superior level of UV protection @ .72 sqft

other than basing this on the cost of the material and or experience using it, how as consumers are we to know if the superior level LAMEX claims is equal to the superior level ORAGUARD offers???

I usually use the products with the high level or protection, but have a job that requires superior level.

anyone?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well the cost is so different because the bottom 2 vinyls are cast and the first one is a calendared. Most every lam you get will have UV inhibitors in them. The most important part is the ink your using to be honest. You can get UV lam for $0.19 a sq.ft from NuSign and it has the same UV protection and durability of the 210 from Oracal.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Well the cost is so different because the bottom 2 vinyls are cast and the first one is a calendared.

i get that, but what constitutes their ability to say high level or superior level.

and who's superior level is superior?

luggnut

the cast has extension of 4 years... but on some calendered that i wanted to feel better about durability i have used the 215 it has 3 year extension factor. 210 only 2 years. all depends on the conditions (sun exposure...)

SignManiac

What is it that needs laminate? If it's a sign, I've found that two part automotive clear is superior to any of the laminates I've used over the years. I use to spray mine in house but now take them to a local body shop and have them shoot the final clear coat.

Might be something to consider depending on your situation.

Steve Werner

Any major manufacturer of these vinyls with UV inhibitors should be able to give you expected outdoor exposure life cycles. The thing that most say will go before the vinyl is the ink. There are 30 year laminates out there, I doubt that most inks will hold up that long.