• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Valuejet media sensor question

heyskull

Is it possible to knock the media sensors off on my VJ1604?

I am sick of the machine saying media end when there is polenty material in the machine.

I have covered the sensor with a bit of vinyl but this eventually comes off!!!

SC

Jim Doggett

Yes; you can disable the sensor via the standard menu (you don't have to go into engineering mode). Check the manual or call your dealer's support department.

Good luck

Addendum; from Keith in our color support:

Press The MENU Button once
Press the RIGHT Arrow Button once
Press the DOWN Arrow Button until you see “Roll Length”
Press The ENTER Button
Press the DOWN Arrow Button intil you see "OFF"
Press the ENTER Button
Press the CANCEL Button until you see “Ready To Print”

Last edited:

Jim Doggett

Jim

That is already set to OFF!

SC

Hmmm? Keith has never let me down before. But if he's wrong on this one, I'll pull the Mutoh Certified ValueJet Technician certificate off his office wall.

Kidding, of course. I'll get a clarification as soon as he's free.

Best,

Jim

heyskull

Vinyl is thinner than electrical tape!
It all comes off eventually.
Need to be able to knock the sensor off

SC

Compilla

Vinyl is thinner than electrical tape!
It all comes off eventually.
Need to be able to knock the sensor off

SC

Try turning off the media initial
Once you turn the media initial OFF, you MUST enter the media width in mm in the Media Width menu.

If not avail, cut the wires off with a pocket knife! lol

jiarby

Hey Jim... how does a guy get to become a
"Mutoh Certified ValueJet Technician"??

I have lotsa IT certifications, but this one sounds more useful!

Jim Doggett

Hey Jim... how does a guy get to become a
"Mutoh Certified ValueJet Technician"??

Factory training, which apparently I could benefit from having received. Keith has corrected my original post. As it turns out the change must be made in the engineering mode, not the standard menu. And our techs are a guarded with details on getting into engineering mode, which makes sense.

Sorry, y'all. My bad.

Tape, paper and/or vinyl seems to way to go.

Best,

Jim

MacGyver

End of Roll

Is it possible to knock the media sensors off on my VJ1604?

I am sick of the machine saying media end when there is polenty material in the machine.

I have covered the sensor with a bit of vinyl but this eventually comes off!!!

SC
Wow, there's a lot of strange info on this post..

Here's the deal:

1.) Taping the sensor is a poor fix. If your media runs out your printer will continue to print all over your platen and can cause some serious non warranty repairs. Mutoh will not cover damaged caused by a taped up sensor.

2.) Is the media buckling behind the pinch rollers? This can cause light to hit the sensor and prompt the message - if your printer is parked in front of a window, move it.

3.) Does the message appear with various types of media? If the answer is yes the sensor will most likely need to be adjusted. Materials with logos printed on the backing page (like 3M) can also cause the sensor misfire - either way the sensor tolerence can be adjusted to prevent this.

4.) This sensor (end of roll) as well as the "edge guide" sensor (undefined media) can be adjusted via a potentiometer on the main board (VJ1204, 1304, 1604 and 1614.) Unless you are printing on a material you can see through you shouldn't have to put up with the message. If you are still under warranty contact your dealer, if not it's probably worth paying to have it adjusted so you don't see "End of Roll" 20 feet into a 30 foot print. This should be a fairly quick resolve.

heyskull

Well here is the problem.
Every now and again I get a end of media when there is loads of media in it!
There is now very little light as I have started to knock the lights of!!
There is no media buckling.vv bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb vbbbb
I never start a print without making sure I have more than enough.
Weve had the machine over a year now so Mutoh aint going to warrant it know more!!!

SC

heyskull

:banghead: Still having big problems with this media sensor.

The problem is if I cover the media sensor the machine thinks there is no media in the machine!!!!!
There must be some way of by-passing this.
I have called someone to adjust this and the tech guy didn't know if it was possible.

This is typical in the UK you may as well mend the problem yourself as I have more knowledge on printers and plotters than they do.
I have had to watch unqualified technicians messing with my machinery before and playing guessing games and this normally means a BIG BIG bill for someone who is just using there best guess.

HELP:notworthy:

SC

randya

:banghead: Still having big problems with this media sensor.

The problem is if I cover the media sensor the machine thinks there is no media in the machine!!!!!
There must be some way of by-passing this.
I have called someone to adjust this and the tech guy didn't know if it was possible.

SC

The sensor is two parts a 'light' emitter element and a light sensing element.
It acts by reflecting off the media.
It will not reflect on dark media or black tape, it will need to be white.

And yes, the sensitivity of the sensor is adjustable, I believe on the main board.

jlarkin1982

your problem is you dont have the tension set on the back roll holders. Its any easy fix and stops the media from reading end of roll.

SE SignSupply

The sensor is two parts a 'light' emitter element and a light sensing element.
It acts by reflecting off the media.
It will not reflect on dark media or black tape, it will need to be white.

And yes, the sensitivity of the sensor is adjustable, I believe on the main board.

Seeing this a lot on new 1304's and 1614's any TSB's out for this?

Ryan