• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Variable Data in VersaWorks 6

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Is there a way to globally set text attributes in VW? I'm doing a variable data merge for 200 labels, numbered sequentially. I've got the numbers merged to the label, but I have to change the font, size, justification and color for each one, all 200 of them. This really seams to defeat the beauty of variable data merge.
I can't seem to find a way to globally set these, just wondering if anyone knows of a secret room in VW where I can set this.....?

Jester

Slow is Fast
You only need to design one label. Import it into VW and set the attributes. VW will print one label for each entry in your data spreadsheet.

Boudica

You only need to design one label. Import it into VW and set the attributes. VW will print one label for each entry in your data spreadsheet.
Thank you. That is exactly what I did.
But my question is if there is a way to set the attributes for the whole batch once. I had to set half a dozen attributes 200 times manually. That's ridiculous, and there's got to be an easier way.
My biggest kick in the face was that I've done this project like once a year, for over 5 years... I looked at last year's production files... Seemed easy until I realized that I had to set the attributes manually..... I don't remember that part... Maybe I blocked it out, like PTSD.
Anyway, after dealing with this, I can think of at least 3 different and much more efficient and better ways to approach this project, I was just working with what I evidently did last time. It's done now and Lesson learned. Do it differently.

Boudica

You can select all of the variable data entries in versaworks and then change the attributes and it changes them all.
Nope, I cannot. I thought I did, but then realized the changes only applied to the first one. Can't shift+select all, can Ctrl+A select all, but the changes did not work.

MrDav3C

How strange, this definitely worked for me earlier this year, will hopefully look into this further later this evening.

I'll go back to the file and actually attempt to change the font globally to something noticeably obscure and make sure this still works.

I'm wondering if this could possibly be an issue with VW after an update or maybe specifically your software needs to be reinitialised (PITA if this is the case!).

Boudica

We did recently upgrade to VW 6... I've done this same project before, I don't remember having to set the attributes for every single entry before. Maybe it is a glitch in the upgrade. :(