• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VersaWorks shifting die lines?

adasteia

So I've been playing with versaworks and I'm starting to get the hang of it but it seems like it's either not reading my lines correctly or somehow shifting them during import. I've tried PDF and EPS and different stroke widths (1pt and 0.25pt) too but it all seems to be shifted down and to the right.

Left is in versaworks and right is how it looks in pdf.

I've just been manually shifting the lines more up and to the left in illustrator to combat it but is there a way to fix this? I'm running a BN-20 but I don't think that's the problem.

Capture.PNG
Screenshot 2022-02-05 at 12.33.48 PM.png

Last edited:

PatriotWorks

That you are seeing CutContour is great!
That means your layer is in the proper place.
Always thought the CutContour should be .25px and 100% magenta identified as a spot color.
Also....if you change the opacity to anything under 100 the CutContour won't work.
Yet...you are seeing the marching ants. Good!
I'm with Victor.....What Versaworks shows and what it cuts are two different things.
Cut it then tell us its wrong.
Versaworks has a lot going for it....IMHO.
The power of it is hidden too well.
Frankly...your monitor might be the cause of your grief???

adasteia

It cuts what is shown on versaworks, so unfortunately its not in the right place.
I know it's not a calibration issue with the machine because if I manually offset it in illustrator and send it back to versaworks to try and get the marching ants to line up then it cuts fine.
It's just annoying because I have to repeat the process several times to get it in the right spot.

Opacity is 100, and the strokes are directly from the versaworks swatches.

I'm hoping maybe if I send the file directly from illustrator to versaworks that it'll fix the issue, but not possible with my current set up yet.

PatriotWorks

I know it's not a calibration issue with the machine because if I manually offset it in illustrator and send it back to versaworks to try and get the marching ants to line up then it cuts fine.
It's just annoying because I have to repeat the process several times to get it in the right spot.
Is your CutContour stroke aligned to center?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 21.48.43.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 21.48.43.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 117

PatriotWorks

Adasteia...
Your attachment is a pdf that looks like the one you posted at the start. Was there anything else?
I think you said you had a BN-20.....I have a SG-540 and what trying to think what might cause the cut lines to be off.
I've never had the issue. My KissCut has alway been spot on.
But...I also adjust everything about every two months. Things change. The first place I'd go is here:

Performing print and cut alignment || Roland​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 08.40.12.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 08.40.12.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 129

adasteia

Hi Patriot,
That's the file I've been cutting with. It's possible that it's the BN20 but not every single file reads the lines wrong so that's why I think it's more of a versa works problem. I played around with it a bit more and it seems like the more pieces the file has the more shifted it becomes. I had a file earlier with just 1 kiss-cut piece and it scanned perfectly.

It should be all calibrated since I just set it up 3 days ago, but I will try again tonight!

PatriotWorks

You could try copying and pasting in place your CutContour paths in the print.
The print/cut should cleve the printed paths right in twain! ;-)
If it doesn't... Call tech support They would be as interested as I am.

adasteia

I use image trace for all of them so it should be layer paths.

Can you elaborate on the copying and pasting part?

PatriotWorks

I use image trace for all of them so it should be layer paths.

Can you elaborate on the copying and pasting part?
Copy your cut lines and past them in place in the artwork layers so they print. Change the color and stroke to avoid confusion.
If the cut lines dissect the printed lines ..... and the printed lines are where you want them...wheres the problem?
If there's a difference between the printed line and a cut line ......something is way whacked. Like your cutter offset adjustment.

dweavers

So I've been playing with versaworks and I'm starting to get the hang of it but it seems like it's either not reading my lines correctly or somehow shifting them during import. I've tried PDF and EPS and different stroke widths (1pt and 0.25pt) too but it all seems to be shifted down and to the right.

I've just been manually shifting the lines more up and to the left in illustrator to combat it but is there a way to fix this? I'm running a BN-20 but I don't think that's the problem.

View attachment 157752 View attachment 157753
I think you will in fact find that it is a calibration issue, from the BN-20 utility you will need to run the Print and Cut Ajustment and make adjustments, as well as running the CropCut Adjustment and making adjustments, Versaworks preview is a low resolution preview and will not show the cut path in exactly the place where it will be (it is only a preview), my BN-20 is extremely accurate with its cutting but the calibration will change slightly when you change materials

cornholio

The preview in Versaworks isn't that precise, when you zoom in very close.
Calibrate print-cut at the machine. Print some black hairline squares with cutcontour exactly over it. Check if there is a consistent offset over a whole sheet. If needed, you can finetune the values in the calibration.
II wouldn't be aware, that I heard of offset problems with Versaworks lately.
Be aware, that print cut offsets are stored individually in every preset if there are presets.

Sign Pro Salina

View attachment 157752 View attachment 157753
I'm not familiar enough with your specific machine, but just a thought, not sure if you are printing, laminating and then re-loading to cut, but if you are clicking "get media width" again after re-loading to plot after laminating, that will cause your cut lines to be off.