• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl as a stencil

bagdaddys

Anyone ever use vinyl as a stencil on smooth plywood? Just curious to know if there were any issues. Also, would it be better to use just a cheap white removable vinyl or shoud I use a paint mask?

Have a Roland GX24 and am planing on cutting my logos and using them as a stencil rather than make the mulyi-thousand dollar investment needed to purchase all of the custom color vinyl I would need. I do a ton of licensed collegiate stuff so its just not an option. 32 different colors with minimum 6,000 square foot order per color......need to win the powerball to make that happen

Also, not interested in printed vinyl logos.....my product has a portion of it that must be painted and I have found it virtually impossible to match the color adn/or scheen between the two......done dealing with that issue and moving on.

Thanks for the help and hope 2013 is good to everyone

DizzyMarkus

one simple question -- :0)

If vinyl were made to work as a paint mask -- would they make paintmask?

Serious -- get the paintmask, it releases easier, has a matte non stick finish and leaves cleaner lines with no bleed. If your logo is as difficult as you say this would be the stuff to use. --

Markus

Jillbeans

I have used vinyl as a stencil, you just have to pull it up real quick.
It can leave glue residue sometimes.
The plywood could not be raw or the wood would splinter and the paint bleed.
Would have to be primed then painted with oil based paint, then left to cure for a few days or the vinyl/paint mask would either not stick or peel up the paint down to bare wood.
I use odd color stuff that I can't sell when I run out of paint mask.
If my logo was that complicated, I would change it.
Love....Jill

bagdaddys

Dizzy....good point!! Got the flu running around my house so I'm not on top of my game.

The logos I have referenced using tho on are the collegiate school logos.......believe me, my company logo is as simple as the come. Thanks for the input everyone.

John L

one simple question -- :0)

If vinyl were made to work as a paint mask -- would they make paintmask?

Markus

Maybe - That is if their greedy manufacturer minds decided they could sell more rolls of "stuff" by calling it paint mask. No kidding, Ive not tried them all, and its been years so maybe there offering has changed, but Ive seen very little difference in the ones Ive used compared to regular cheap calendared vinyl.

DizzyMarkus

Hi John,
The differences I have found to be are the adhesive is different, the surface is "non stick" type coating. It doesnt leave any residue behind to "clean up" and can stay on for a few days. I mostly use it for RC car guys wanting masks but have used mask for many purposes like etching etc.

Markus

Just my opinion :thumb:

John L

Yes man, I dont doubt you. its been years for me and I cannot even remember what brands i tried, but it was back in my Sparcal days.

rjssigns

We've used 4mil vinyl for paint and screen print masks. IIRC we used Comp-U-Cut. Worked excellent for simple short run screen jobs.

gabagoo

if you only need a few feet, think I have a yard kicking around if you need it :0)

Markus

If paint mask hangs around to long the removability is lost and it leaves a lot of glue residue. I know first hand.....this is why some suppliers insist on selling full rolls and do not offer partials

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Use a flat paper frisket. It comes on pre-punched or non-punched rolls and is far easier to use on something like bare wood.

bagdaddys

any ideas on what mask I should use. I will be buying rolls as this is not a one time thing and will be using my Roland to cut the designs. MAny different products going out to many different retailers. No bleeding on a smooth wood surface would be ideal (duhhh!!). Need adhesive backed if that was not already assumed.

Jackpine

Gerber paintmask is excellent for paint. I use it with lettering enamel and Krylon spray. I use one that is blue. IF you use vinyl use a matte finish removable adhesive. 3621 is good. I have a no name white matte finish removable adhesive that has never fail to work.

DizzyMarkus

lol John L -- no worries :thumb: I was just describing the differences I had noticed :0)

gabagoo-- why I only have a few feet laying around -- gets like dried rubber cement or boogers lol

Markus

Jillbeans

Don't ever use the white Gerber masking, it is just awful to work with.
I don't mind the Oracal masking but I still hate painting with a mask.
Avery mask "melts" with hotter paints.