• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl doesn't seem sticky enough

Ripcord

I've made a few signs so far, including a fairly large one and everything is going fine, but today I had to peel up a graphic that I had just applied and I was startled to find how easily it came off. Once I got a corner up I was able to just pull it off with very little effort. So I was thinking that the adhesive isn't sticky enough, but that can't be the case obviously, since the vinyl is made expressly for this purpose. My question is, does the adhesive set up and bond to the surface better after a little time?

OldPaint

WHAT IS THE SURFACE........ paint/wood/drywall/metal/plastic?????
if its paint and FLAT LATEX... nothing will stick to it. semi-gloss not much better.
OLD VINYL????

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Besides the stuff Old Paint asked, what kinda vinyl are you using ?? How on earth can we make any recommendations without knowing the particulars ??

You mentioned graphics, that could be digitally printed or die-cut.

Some vinyls need to be post-heated on the substrate. Perhaps you are not squeegeeing hard enough. There are a myriad of things you could be doing wrong, which sounds more feasible than defective adhesive.

Pictures would help, procedures and more information in general. Otherwise, it's just a crap-shoot.

Ripcord

Sorry, it's cut vinyl and brand new shipped from Oracal. I noticed it on the glass windshield of my car, but this morning's project will be going on polycarbonate. I think I'm squeegeeing pretty hard and thorough...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Windshields are highly acceptable to contaminants. You might not've cleaned it enough. Did you use Windex to clean your glass ?? Adhesive sticks best to non-porous surfaces. If you left cleaner or some other stuff on the glass, the adhesive is sticking to that and NOT the glass, therefore it can peel off quite easily.

Oh, and don't post heat a windshield, or any other glass.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
... My question is, does the adhesive set up and bond to the surface better after a little time?

Yes.

Most vinyl can be easily removed with a fingernail immediately after it's applied. After a time, mostly depending on ambient temperature, it bonds much tighter than when first applied.

Ripcord

It's Oracal 8500 translucent. I've also used 3M Scotchcal. I've only done dry application but today I'll be trying a wet app for the first time.

MikePro

should be fine. pressure sensitive adhesive sometimes requires a little love.
if you're really worried, just give it a little post-heat (heatgun & felt squeegee) when your application is complete.

Ripcord

Thanks for all the responses. I was hoping this would be the case. I'll try a little heat when I'm done too...

OldPaint

CAR WINDSHIELD................. with RAIN-X........EVER APPLIED............ will never get vinyl to stick!!!!!!!
damn near have to scrub the glass with BON-AMI......... to get vinyl to hold

Ripcord

This job is for a backlighted sign on polycarbonate. I admit I was shocked at how much the vinyl cost. I charged for the cost of the materials plus about $250 - probably should have been more, but this is a customer I've printed several orders of T-shirts for and they know I'm still learning to do signs...

bnosanchuk

Weather, Surface, Dirt

Yea, it depends on the surface and how dirty or clean it is. We were using vinyl on a porous surface that wasn't allowing good contact. Also, weather will have an effect too. As others have said, the sun and elements will help 'bake' it on.

Ripcord

I'm almost finished with it, and I'm liking the wet application. This design has drop shadows in a different color and I've found that I can hand position each shadow in place perfectly and then squeegee it down. It's taken me all day...so I hope to become faster...But this is a big sign, more than 10 feet long...

I'm almost finished with it, I'm liking the wet application. This design has drop shadows in a different color and I've found that I can hand position each shadow in place perfectly and then squeegee it down. It's taken me all day...so I hope to become faster...But this is a big sign, more than 10 feet long...

Try using registration marks to line up various colors. This will allow you to apply the vinyl dry with precision.

Ripcord

Thanks for all the advice. Here's a photo of the sign I installed today. I'm jazzed!
attachment.php

Attachments

• nshore2.jpg
    nshore2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 180

Ripcord

This design is mine, based on the logo I designed for the T-shirts I did for them this summer. I tried to open up the drop shadows a bit with a little white space but they liked the solid green/ black combo, so I did as I was told.