• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for decals - Application Tape?

mameighan

I have a Prismjet 38.

I have printed small full color decals (4" dia) on Orcal Vinyl (not sure the type but pretty thin).

I want to be able to peel the decals directly and apply (short term usage). Is there a vinyl thick enough to allowe me to peel without the decals creasing or do I need to laminate and/or apply application tape?

I have used application tape but seems like an unnecessary evil if I can get a thicker vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

WVB

There is a thicker vinyl called convex. Now this stuff comes in clear, white and is not cheap...

thewood

I have a Prismjet 38.

I have printed small full color decals (4" dia) on Orcal Vinyl (not sure the type but pretty thin).

I want to be able to peel the decals directly and apply (short term usage). Is there a vinyl thick enough to allowe me to peel without the decals creasing or do I need to laminate and/or apply application tape?

I have used application tape but seems like an unnecessary evil if I can get a thicker vinyl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Depending on your skill level, you could probably peel and stick even the most thin 4" decals without laminate or transfer tape. Keep in mind that the vinyl may be a bit soft immediately after printing and that waiting a day or so should remedy that. I would suggest Orajet 3651. Laminating doesn't make sense since these are short-term. If you (or the end customer) can't apply these easily, then transfer tape is the way to go.

Jackpine

There are thicker 3.75ml vinyl from Oracle that would work for cheap decals. You could use a clear vinyl for a cheap laminate and that would give you a peel n' stick. I would not spend the money on Convex for "short term" decals. Use convex where it should be uses.

mameighan

Vinyl for decals

Thanks for the replies. I can apply the decals myself with little hassle but others have complained about them being hard to apply because they are thin. I will try some of the thicker vinyl or just keep going the way of application tape.
Thanks again, Mark

ChiknNutz

Orajet 3165 is 3.75 mil vs. 2.5 mil for Orajet 3651. We use 3165 for 75-90% of our applications. It is better if you laminate, but the added thickness of the 3165 is helpful too, and is better for full-bleed, contour-cut decals as it won't edge-curl nearly as bad.