• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vinyl recommendation for painted concrete - long term

tulsagraphics

Hi all!

I've got a job to install black lettering on painted concrete at football stadium. (yeah I know, epoxy painted letters would be more durable, but it's simply not feasible for this project.)

Oklahoma weather doesn't mess around... pretty harsh environment for vinyl... so I need a premium film. My first thought was 2080... but 3M has so many lines... they just might have something better suited for this type of application.

Any suggestions on what film would hold up the best?

Attachments

• chrome_kqcccxvVhk.png
    chrome_kqcccxvVhk.png
    601.6 KB · Views: 146

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
We have an alumagraphic print up on our building (painted concrete) that's been there for about 4 years. It faces south and gets a lot of weather abuse. It still looks great.

FCD

Alumigraphic or try 3M 3662 with a cast lam. We did 40’ lettering on a textured masonry surface with 3M 3662 and it’s been up for a few years and still going…

tulsagraphics

Why can't it be hand-lettered ??
If only I had the resources for it. I'm a one man shop in a small college town (doing mostly printing / vinyl installs / etc.) I've never hand lettered before. Not that painting is particularly difficult or anything... but this job is big for me. 63 locations on 3 floors, all by ladder.

In the past I would have referred the client to one of the bigger shops in town, but they all closed down in the past 2 to 4 years, and the nearest (capable) shops are about 60-70 miles away. I actually tried multiple times to refer my client to the shops in the bigger cities -- but it seems they would rather me use vinyl than to bring in someone from out of town. I mean.. it's not that I really even want this type of work, but in this economy, during slow season, I'm having to give extra thought about the jobs I'm willing to do without stretching myself too thin. Know what I mean? A bit of a pickle.

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
If only I had the resources for it. I'm a one man shop in a small college town (doing mostly printing / vinyl installs / etc.) I've never hand lettered before. Not that painting is particularly difficult or anything... but this job is big for me. 63 locations on 3 floors, all by ladder.

In the past I would have referred the client to one of the bigger shops in town, but they all closed down in the past 2 to 4 years, and the nearest (capable) shops are about 60-70 miles away. I actually tried multiple times to refer my client to the shops in the bigger cities -- but it seems they would rather me use vinyl than to bring in someone from out of town. I mean.. it's not that I really even want this type of work, but in this economy, during slow season, I'm having to give extra thought about the jobs I'm willing to do without stretching myself too thin. Know what I mean? A bit of a pickle.
Alumagraphic might be your best solution then. It's easy to install too. However... You will want a solid piece rather than a contour cut lettering.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For that kind of irregular surface, if the lettering is meant to hold up for many years I wouldn't use any sort of vinyl directly on the concrete at all. Masking and painting is one possible solution. But I would try to get them to consider using flat, routed letters and stud mount them to the wall. Either that or install sign panels.