• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question VJ-1204 - Can you print on regular sign vinly?

Eddie Greer

I recently acquired a VJ-1204, was told it was put in longstore. I got new ink coming on Wednesday to test printer. Can I use regular sign vinyl to test print?

SignosaurusRex

Yes. 20" or wider to accommodate the length of the test print if using the printers "Nozzle Check" function on the control panel. You can even use 20lb. bond paper if you so desire. Make sure what ever you use has crisp edges without wrinkles etc. I would suggest having your "Head Height" set to high.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know how true this is anymore, but I was told and taught that while these machines will print on basically any vinyl, it is only meant to print on digital media for best results. Also, for longevity when using the correct vinyl with the correct profile. Something to do with the way the vinyl actually accepts the ink while being pre-heated and post-heated.

Don't forget, you're gonna need to laminate your prints before using if any length of time will be needed when in use.

Eddie Greer

I don't know how true this is anymore, but I was told and taught that while these machines will print on basically any vinyl, it is only meant to print on digital media for best results. Also, for longevity when using the correct vinyl with the correct profile. Something to do with the way the vinyl actually accepts the ink while being pre-heated and post-heated.

Don't forget, you're gonna need to laminate your prints before using if any length of time will be needed when in use.

Thanks for the reply, this vinyl is only going to be used for testing purposes.

FatCat

I have printed on a variety of non-print vinyls with good success. I would urge you to wipe down the vinyl with alcohol prior to printing, as non-print vinyl is usually not manufactured with the same cleanliness requirements and often can have fingerprints or even contamination that need to be cleaned first for best results.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I have printed on a variety of non-print vinyls with good success. I would urge you to wipe down the vinyl with alcohol prior to printing, as non-print vinyl is usually not manufactured with the same cleanliness requirements and often can have fingerprints or even contamination that need to be cleaned first for best results.

Agreed. As a dealer when I roll off print vinyl I use gloves. When I roll off sign vinyl I don't and it will have finger prints.

Eddie Greer

Great tip, thanks.

karst41

White cut vinyl is yellowish compared to Digital vinyl. Buy a roll of cheap IJ material. There are some that are around $150 for a 54x50yd roll.