• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vp vs. soljet

ackerman139

Hey Guys,

Buying another new printer tomorrow, and am just curious to see your thoughts comparing the vp 540 and the soljet xc. Im just wondering if the soljet if worth the money, and if the 6 color really makes a difference. Thank you

ackerman139

how are the colors as compared to the sp's? im just looking for some better greys, etc. Didnt know if the soljet would print them better

Creative_Lance

I wish i could help you but i don't have SP or xc to compare it with.
I know the VP is faster than SP though. The colors come out beautiful, i still print everything on the default setting and still good.

Capital Signs

cdiesel, could you tell me if you would prefer roland over Mutoh? I'm thinking of getting a 64" Mutoh, but not sure if I should keep or sell the SP-540V... Appreciate your opinion :) Thanks.

Fuzzbuster

Cant speak for Roland but printing full solvent on Toucan 6 color ...better skin tones and better greys...it`s the way to go to get GOOD gradients not just ok

cdiesel

I personally wouldn't touch a Mutoh. There are many here who run the heck out of them and don't have any problems, but from what I've seen, they look and feel very "cheap" to me. They ARE very inexpensive machines, which is probably why there are so many of them out there. One of those "get what you paid for" cases.
For the money, though, I don't see why anyone would buy the VJ. They're what, $20k? By the time you buy a 64" cutter, you're going to be looking at $25k+. You can get the XC-540 in the $27k range, and it's a much better built, nicer printing, faster machine. If you need the extra width that bad, you can get the XJ-740/Summa D160 like we did for about $32k. And you've got 10 more inches on the print side.
Yesterday I ran two 4'x100' banners on our XJ in an hour and 40 minutes. That's pretty damn fast, and you won't touch that speed in this price range.

Capital Signs

My gosh, Thats awesome. I think I will stick with Roland. If it aint broke, dont fix it. I'm considering the XC-540 for a while, but also the 74, but it does not have the plotting, which is what I am concerned about. Should I hang onto the SP-540 for that, and get the 74? or just get the XC-540 and get rid of the SP???

Fuzzbuster

Looked into a Toucan lately?

runnin a 16 hr job right now ...without stop...no cleanings .....
still runnin for another 4.5 hrs before job is done.....Thats over 20hrs non stop

These things are tanks
when set up properly Full solvent to boot

i think the 106 inch mutoh ...2606 is the same platform as the toucan lt

Heavy take up system etc...

ackerman139

Thanks guys. Im not really looking at full solvents, or larger than the soljet. Would prefer a hybrid unit even though i laminate 99% of everything, so its no use anyway. Space would be the big plus. Do the soljet prints really differ from the xc's?

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I contemplated this a year and a half ago (then between the vc and 545) I chose the 545 because of the huge speed advantage. You may not need it immediatly but if you plan to grow (we all do) it will pay off. I am about ready to get an XC. The 545 has been an amazing workhorse.

I also have an older Mutoh and would not touch another with a barge pole.

peavey123

how are the colors as compared to the sp's? im just looking for some better greys, etc. Didnt know if the soljet would print them better

Not sure about the XC but We switched from the SP-540V to VP 540. I can tell you the colours and gradients are much better on the VP. Gradients on the SP used to be bands of colour that looked awful on small stuff but the VP has fixed that. Right now it prints roughly twice as fast as the VP. Soon there is supposed to be a new update where you will be able to print even faster and better quality. I'm not exaclty sure? but my tech says he expects it to print 150sq/ft an hr without banding. so we will see...lol

synergy_jim

we upgraded from an sp to the xc and its a huge difference.

print quality is way better.

speed is no comparison.

take up reel and tri heater system...

I could go on all day...

get the XC...

one last thing....

Mutoh is JUNK!

ackerman139

I appreciate the input guys.

haha, i AM a roland man. Will not go to any of those (M's). Only would go gerber for thermal. But i think rolands are the best inkjets. High quality.

The quote about how there was no banding with the vp and gradients were much better really triggered me. Thank you again guys.