• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

vp540 new or sc-545ex used?

bigben

Hi all!

I'm on the market for a printer. One of my roland dealer have a used sc-545ex (he said 25% of use) + full set of ink + delivery + training + extra heater + one roll of vinyl + 3 month warrenty for 17k$. Or same package with a vp540 NEW for 23k$.

I've saw all the spec on the web. But in real world, does it have any difference in print quality or built quality? This will be my first printer, so witch one I sould go for?

Thanks for your opinions and help.

P.S. All price are canadian, I'm located in the Montreal area.

luggnut

if you can feel confident in the used equipment.... the sc540 is way faster. i have used both and the quality of the print is the same and they are both built well. speed is the only real difference.

some of the older sc540 models didn't have the 3 heaters?

kustom.printing

I would also like to know the opinions although one thing with the 6 heads instead of 4, more chance of heads needing replacement.

Also is the service and maintenance the same, I know the VP was made in mind of people not using them all the time.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I have used the SP 540 V and it was only 2 heads, half of each head was a seperate color vs the 6 heads on the SC 545 EX. Not sure bout the vp.

There are alot of variables that are subjective and we don't have.

1 Does the used machine look like it was taken care of?
2 Will they print out a full service report and explain it in detail?
3 Get a test print sample. The one that shows the status of the heads, if there are dropped or missalinged nozzles.
4 What is your buget? you have to have a laminator too.
5 how much will you print?
6 What rip software does the use one come with? VersaWorks is easy to learn for a begginer and supported with free upgrades. RCR is outdated an 2.2 is the last version availble. We upgraded to Wasatch softrip.
7 many more. It's like buying a used car.

Last edited:

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Everything the above post said... If it looks good, I would go with the 545. It is much faster, and I have ran the snot out of mine for 3 years and don't regret spending the extra 5-6k over the versacamm. Roland makes a good product either way but if you plan to grow the speed will come into play.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Light Cyan & Light Magenta on the SC 545 EX are supposed to help with gradients and skin tones.

If the dealer wants you to buy from them they should be able to print samples while you are there. I would make a 2' x 52" sample file with gradients, small black and white text, photos, things you plan on printing and have them print it on each machine. You can guage quality and speed in your own head to head comparison. Be forwarnd, gradients from black to white will go from black to warm grey to cool grey and then white. It sucks.

Last edited:

InkjetAuction

Used SC545-EX vs NEW VP-540

I agree that the SC-545EX is a workhorse machine... however I'd go with the VP-540.

The new Roland Intelligent Pass Control that was released this week for the VP-models really speeds these machine up...and you get the band-free technology to boot.

With the VP, you'll now see nearly 90sq ft/hr at 720x720 band-free on adhesive-back vinyl, and 120-148sq ft/hr at high-speed banner modes. Just ask some of the folks that upgraded this week.

Plus with the VP you'll get the two year warranty... assuming that you use the EcoSol MAX inks. What are the details of your "dealer's" warranty.

If you could pickup the SC-545EX for $14k... then I'd be split in my opinion.

If you decide to go with the used machine, I'd ask the dealer how came up with a "25% used" statistic? The SC545-EX has six heads... each rated for 6,000,000K shots each (6 billion) and each head will have different use stats (i.e. Magenta may be used 2:1 over black). Motors are rated for a certain number of hrs each...etc. You should have the dealer print a history report so you can review it.

I'd also ask for all of the dampers and captops to be replaced, and a fresh head adjustment be complete before taking delivery of the machine.

Sorry for the somewhat random thoughts... hope it's somewhat useful.

~E

mgieske

Another item to add to all the above is the take up reel which comes standard with the 545EX.

After upgrading from a Versacamm, the 545EX color gamut smokes the 4 color machine.

We also simply can't live without a takeup reel. It is a giant help & costs around $2k to add to a VP.

InkjetAuction

Gamut

I agree with your point about the take-up... you can get used to having it.

However there is a misconception about CMYKLcLm having a larger gamut than CMYK. It's a nearly identical gamut.

What CMYKLmLc gives you is smoother gradients (much less likely to band), and MUCH smoother color transitions...especially in skin tones. So if you intend to do a lot of work involving facial closeups then CMYKLcLm might be a better choice.

If the SC545-EX could be upgraded to RIPC then it would be the winner here.

Everytime Roland comes out with a new printer there will be innovation. Next year when the next series comes out (probably)... it will blow these away I'm sure.

~E

bigben

Thanks for all your help! I will go there to have print test, ask about all the details of the warranty and the report of use.

Thanks again!

Ben