• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 turning off media mesuring

anax

hello, does anyone knows if it's possible? In XJ series we can choose mesuring or not in submenu/sheet type:clear or opaque. Thanks to it we are able to print on all width of material f.ex vinyl 105 cm, graphics 105 cm. I can't do this on VP:(
Does anyone has any idea how to cheat ROland?

BTW new Versa is available:)
regards
Anax

Malkin

Or if you set the pinch rollers correctly, it would measure the actual material you have. But I have to admit I usually just enter the size manually, saves a little time.

anax

well if you enter size manualy and size is bigger then sheet, Versa shows warning that sheet is smaller, then if you press OK machine says the sheet is smaller, if you press enter it starts to print but it still uses size of sheet mesured earlier (with white margins). It just cut the work. So if it was vinyl 105 cm, VP540 mesured 102 cm, it prints only on this 102 cm even if work has 105 cm (after all warnings) and you loose this 3 cm of work. This is not what I want:(
I like to have a possibility to turn of auto-mesuring completly and show manualy base point and then enter manualy size of the sheet...like in XJ.
regards
Anax

unfortunately the VP doesnt have this option built into the menu. And You really cant trick it the same way you do the XJ. Just b/c the machine reads the pinch roller to measure media were as the others read the edges and so you have different working devices. Let me think on this one....

anax

yes you're right, I think XJ uses for mesuring media clamps, VP pinch rollers. The idea is to cover sensor which "view" pinch roll and then manualy set base point, or maybe right and left pinch role move outside of vinyl...I've to try this:)
regards
Anax

anax

so I tried one method with moving rollers outside vinyl. It works nice. But in this case we're loosing right roller which holds edge of the vinyl. Left roller is ok because we can add one roller which holds left edge of the vinyl but it's not last roller. The last one is 10 cm farther and machine mesure till last roller then in versa we change width manualy to the width of our material.
damn I think it understable a little bit:)
however I made a print from edge to edge, no white margins

Anax

I guess thats a way to do it..... BUT I WOULDNT DO IT THAT WAY TOOMUCH

You run the risk of the media slipping and striking heads you also run the risk of printing on platen which in time can get ink in your vacuum fans and clog vacuum holes.

In turn the reason why there are two outside rollers they arent flat like the rollers you can put in and take out. They are slanted so that they can grasp the media and feed the media straight.

That printer was never attended to run the full width of media and print full bleed.

Good Luck

anax

yes you're right, the biggest risk is with damaging head with scratching it. To avoid getting ink into fans you just have to put some scotch tape under the vinyl at the and of vinyl to let ink go on this scotch without hgoing in to the machine.
Probably I wont use it...I just wanted to know if it's possible:)
Anax

cdiesel

You'll also want to periodically pause the machine and wipe away any build up ink.
We had an issue once where the media stopped feeding, but the printer kept printing. After a few minutes there was so much ink sitting on the vinyl that the heads started hitting it and splashing through it like a car in a puddle. Talk about a mess!