• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall graphic going around a corner/print set up advice needed

artbot

i've got my first wall graphic set up/tiled and ready for print. but i just heard that there may be a special layout needed for wrapping around a corner.

currently my graphic has a panel that simply wraps around the corner. is that wrong? do in need an over lap right at the corner?

Letterbox Mike

Typically you do not want an overlap or a seam anywhere near an outside corner, it's a potential failure point. We always have our panels wrap around the corner, keeping any seams a minimum of 12-18" away. I would confirm this with your installer to make sure you're on the same page, but this is how we've always done it with all of the installers we use.

Also FYI, the wallpaper won't overlap at the seams, they'll be double-cut on the wall and will butt together, unlike a vinyl wrap where your material will overlap.

mrfern

Corner vinyl... A clean wall makes all the difference.

My wife sells interior wall graphics.. Mostly stuff like simple quotes that go over a picture or door way. I did one however that was basically the border to a room in place of crown molding. I did not split up the 14 foot runs at the corners and that was a mistake. The corners ended up peeling away from the corners so I had to slice them at the corners and apply wallpaper glue on the corners after peeling some back a bit and it worked out. Next time I plan to have each run end at the corner and slightly overlap the corners.

Material:
HEXIX ECOTAC Matt
Vinyl Cut 14 ft . 8 inches x4 runs.

Good luck. :notworthy:

artbot

okay thanks guys. the korographics pdf had a strange wording.

"vertical joints should not occur less than six feet from outside or inside corners".

either way that doesn't sound very plausable. in order to be more than six feet from a corner on both sides, your print would be 12' wide or more. maybe be they meant 6 inches?

and i'm aware on the double cut. the prints overlap but the install is double cut.

MikePro

i've done both ways: trimming the corner line and leaving "exposed edges" or wrapping around the corner with an extra 6-12" from panelA and overlapping panelB ~2inches before double-cut through the overlap and removing the excess.

never had issues with either, aside from the latter taking longer to complete but it comes with the comfort of knowing that nobody should be able to accidentally snag your graphic, and start to peel-up your exposed corner, while running around the corner and rubbing against the wall graphic like an idiot.

also added: if anything, just print the two tiles of that corner in excess of 12" and make a call during the install which way you want to go about it. if the wall isn't square-cut then you may have issues trying to turn the corner.

phototec

Some outside wall corners are not plumb, I have had some that belly-out in the center, which causes problems making the corner turn when installing the wrap. If you try and wrap the corner with a large panel, going to far past the corner on either side, the fabric backed vinyl will buckle and make it hard to line-up the graphic image on the adjoining panel.

So, I recommend installing a full panel, the panel width less 6-12" from one side of the corner, leaving a 6-12" piece going past the corner, then you only have a 6-12" wide piece to wrap around the corner, which is a lot easier to work with and usually has less buckling if the corner is not plumb.

Sometimes you also have to use a heat gun to work the thicker vinyl at the corner, so you can make a nice tight bend and the vinyl doesn't want to lift back up, because you don't have a large glued down surface with the 6-12" piece. And yes, I think it's better to print all panels with a over lap and after installing panels, the seams are double cut on the wall, makes for the best seams.