• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall mural on tile - wall of pain?

aerial

QCB
Need to quote installation of a wall mural on this tiled wall - 10' high by 24' wide, lots of windows, doors, indents etc. We have done quite a few textured block walls, but never on tile. How much extra pain am I in for? I think the smooth surface will show every bubble and wrinkle, while the grout lines will tend to pop loose. Need to charge accordingly, or even pass on this one.

image002.jpg
image003.jpg

JBurton

Signtologist
I'd think this would be easier than a textured wall, at least as far as post heating every inch. Take a drop of a printed wrap, roll over there and see how it goes down? I'd think tile would be ideal for wrapping, easy to clean and great adhesion, plus built in air channels...

Precision

Use a cast vinyl with a cast matte lam. I prefer 3MIj180cv3/8520.

Take a "scrap" panel and go give it a try. This gives you a chance to see what you might need to do on the printed one. Give it a go. All jobs feel a bit scary sometimes. All you can do is mess it up. Then apologize and do it again or give them their money back, and learn from it. Good luck.

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Mural artists use a material known as Polytab, which is a nonwoven polyester cloth, to do outdoor murals on
brick walls. Here are some sources of information:

Polytab material: https://www.qst.com/contact
acrylic gel medium for adhering the cloth to a wall: https://novacolorpaint.com/collections/gels-texture-pastes/products/209-super-gel

This material should be printable with solvent inkjet, and can be printed with aqueous inkjet with an appropriate receptor coating
from a company like inkaid1.com

information on the process for working with Polytab in mural applications:

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I'd recommend a thick product like Walk&Wall which you could 'bridge' the grout lines and make the wall look pretty flat/smooth again. It would reduce your installation time by a ton. Low glare surface looks really good as well. If you provide a UPS or FedEx number I can get you a small test roll 24"x10' where you could try it on a section of the wall to see if you like the approach. Just let me know.

UberDapr

I'd recommend a thick product like Walk&Wall which you could 'bridge' the grout lines and make the wall look pretty flat/smooth again. It would reduce your installation time by a ton. Low glare surface looks really good as well. If you provide a UPS or FedEx number I can get you a small test roll 24"x10' where you could try it on a section of the wall to see if you like the approach. Just let me know.
How stiff is this walk&wall? And is it meant to be left on longer than 6 months?

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
IJ180 or 480 or similar products from Avery/Oracal/etc

I’d figure $2000-$2800 installed (depending on your mark ups and labor rate)

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
How stiff is this walk&wall? And is it meant to be left on longer than 6 months?
It is essentially a 20oz fabric-backed wall covering with a thick coat of adhesive on it. It will last for as long as you leave it on the wall (assuming it is indoors).

citysignshop

Sometimes these kind of jobs make me ask 'why?' .....first.
Is a wrap really the best way of getting an image on there?
How long before they are tired of it, and want to change?
Sometimes I think that mounting a half-dozen sheets of 4'x10' ACM that you've imaged in the shop, would be a pretty fast, simple, and easily updated graphic package.