• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Want to dull a shiny vinyl to matte

threeputt

We're about a third of the way done with a store interior.

It consists (among other things) of a 24" wide stripe along each wall. (walls are each 100 feet long.

So the client arrives and doesn't like the shiny vinyl because the texture of the wall surface and the closely mounted ceiling lights are allowing each little surface bump to be seen.

He says it's unsightly.

I shot a little "matting" spray (from a aerosol can) on a 2'x3' area and he likes it. But does anyone know of a liquid that can be rolled onto the vinyl that will do the same thing? Can't see us going thru ten million cans of spray.

Flame

+1 for clearshield matte. Pretty sure I've seen it, never used it. But makes the most sense.

Letterbox Mike

+1 for the Clearshield matte, we use it on all of our wallpaper jobs and it works great, gives the graphic a really nice low-luster finish and really helps to hide imperfections in drywall that a gloss finish makes stand out. Roll it on with a foam roller, or brush it on with a foam brush. It's fairly thin stuff, so go light or you'll get runs, I'd recommend doing at least 2 light coats. If the graphics are flat on the table you could do one heavy coat but on a wall you'll get the stuff running all down the wall with a heavy coat.

weaselboogie

Polycrylic is a waterbased clear that comes in satin. Available at lowes. Thinking its around $30-$40 per gal. Not sure about it's adhesion to vinyl though.

Quarts are $15 per can if you wanted to test it.

megacab

another vote for clearchield matte. just bought some of the original for a little project i have going. stuff goes on nice and is tough as nails when it dries.