• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waste Ink From Large Format Printers

danno

When i was working in a big shop, we had Safety Clean set drums up for disposal. With the little bit I have now, I've been told to pour it into kitty litter. Throw away when absorbed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Exactly like the above comments. If you have a bunch of it, many gallons, hire a waste company. If you have a little, let it absorb and dry into kitty litter or saw dust and once dry, throw it out.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We let ours accumulate for 5+ years then hire a company to come dispose of it properly. Was a big ordeal, tons of paperwork, and cost us $500+ CDN to get it done.

ikarasu

We pour it into barrels and dispose of it every year or two depending on how much we have.

Kitty litter is also probably fine.... Every municipality is probably different, call and ask your local waste / recycling area what they recommend.

netsol

i buy a bag of cat litter or speedy dry and put it in a 2-1/2 gallon zip lock bag and pour the waste ink into it
close the bag and put the half full zip lock in the garbage

Sign Pro Salina

We use Roland TR2 inks. Checked with our state on proper disposal. We were told to put it in cat litter & throw in the trash. We keep a bucket lined with bags, dump some cat litter in and drain the ink in, then top off with more cat litter. Then trash the bag every so often before it gets too heavy to lift into the dumpster.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Our county came around all the major industrial complexes a about 10 years ago and did an audit. At the time we were using kitty litter. We were told that we can't do that any longer and that we had to get a disposal company to remove it. They said that they would be back to check if we had done it and about a year later they did. We now have a 55 Gallon drum picked up by Veolia every year or year and a half depending on usage. They pick up the old drum and drop off a new one and the last time was $560.

The county said we can't use kitty litter because when the bags get broken open in the land fill, the kitty litter gets wet and the waste ink leaches out of the kitty litter into the ground.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Our county came around all the major industrial complexes a about 10 years ago and did an audit. At the time we were using kitty litter. We were told that we can't do that any longer and that we had to get a disposal company to remove it. They said that they would be back to check if we had done it and about a year later they did. We now have a 55 Gallon drum picked up by Veolia every year or year and a half depending on usage. They pick up the old drum and drop off a new one and the last time was $560.

The county said we can't use kitty litter because when the bags get broken open in the land fill, the kitty litter gets wet and the waste ink leaches out of the kitty litter into the ground.
I'm sure there are counties that have tougher regulations for sure. Once the ink is dry, the organic solvents have evaporated into the air so they won't be leached into the ground. But your county might be more worried about the nickel in the cyan ink and the carbon black in the black ink that does stay behind.

Uncured UV inks (including UV Gel) need to be properly disposed of through a qualified disposal service and never end up in a landfill.