• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We need to paint a Pylon sign, big one, what do we use to paint the frame and posts?

AnnieK

:banghead: We have been asked to redo an big old Pylon sign, we are replacing all the acrylic etc. that is no problem, but what can we use and or how to paint the metal part of the sign? Someone else in the industry says it can't be done? Ugg !! Email me please ..... info@signsbyfineline.com .... that would be great! Thank you!

rjssigns

Can't be done? Really?! How was it painted in the first place? Some peoples kids. I'd pressure wash with an acid based prep. Pressure wash with neutralizer(water). Then use an airless to hose it with Rustoleum. Or you can find the contractor in your area that does the water towers, bridges, etc... and hire them.

Billct2

Too many variables to make a specfic suggestion. But it should be doable. Need to know what it's made of, what it has been coated with previously, the condition of the existing finish, the desired new finish etc

signguy 55

Anything is paintable. It's probably a baked enamel finish, just clean really well, let dry and paint with alkyd enamel, possibly two coats if it's a color change.

Rollers and brushes, you don't say what the height is. A friend of mine used to paint the poles on the big billboard structures going up and down Interstate 95 about 150' up. He said the wind could catch the paint from the paint bucket to the pole and blow it 100 yards, he's cleaned many cars with paint thinner. It's going to be sloppy no matter how you do it, may want to sub it out to a painting crew.