• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird Band Name Logo In Canada

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I am on a guitar related forum. Recently I posted a business card design for my hand lettered signs and pinstriping there. I went on to explain the benefits of musicians having business cards to give to owners of potential venues where the musician might like to play. I offered to design band logos and business card layouts for free to have something to do in all the spare time I have being retired at age 58. This is the first guy who took me up on it. It's a band in Vancouver, B.C.. This is the rough idea I sent him and he told me I was a genius. I asked for a little more time to tweak it. I had a real challenge bending the pepper into an "S" shape yet still having it recognizable as a pepper. Any suggestions? BTW, he told me they were a dance/show band who played "hot dance music"... whatever that means. On a side note, he felt obligated to compensate me in some way. He sent me a package of smoked sockeye salmon that I prefer over lobster tail. It was smoked by an Indian tribe and was awesome.

Attachments

• SoulPepper2RedA.jpg
    SoulPepper2RedA.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 136

rjssigns

I like the overall layout. The pepper to me looks "age inappropriate" like a kids morning show instead of adult. (not sure I'm explaining it well) I like the overall feel though. You sir have skills.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I like the overall layout. The pepper to me looks "age inappropriate" like a kids morning show instead of adult. (not sure I'm explaining it well) I like the overall feel though. You sir have skills.

Thanks for the observations. The pepper was derived from a pic he sent me with a similar face that he said he wanted. I tweaked it quite a bit, but I agree with you it looks more like a cartoon for kids. Maybe I could try putting a goatee on him? I'll see what something like that looks like.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Love it Arlo, great work.

That BC smoked salmon is amazing...... but I would say you're selling yourself short! Your talent and expertise is worth more than voluntary gifts.
Not trying to get this thread off-course...just wanted to say it.

Maybe a goatee AND dj headphones...? I agree about it looking a little childish, but otherwise I think it's a great logo.

I'm working on making the pepper look more adult. I like the headphones idea and will give it a try. I offered the work for free because I have way too much idle time on my hands. Working up this logo kept my mind out of the bell tower. Yes, the Canadian smoked sockeye salmon was amazing. Got to find a place to order more from.

Border

Sponge bob Square Pepper.
LOL

Great work though!

Try the goatee & headphones, or playing a guitar, perhaps?

Pat Whatley

The stem of the pepper looks photographic compared to the cartoony look of the rest of it. The photoshopped balloon effect on the lettering looks really out of place with the hard outline on the lettering....use one or the other. The pepper's right hand looks like he's about to grab his manly parts

Arlo Kalon 2.0

The stem of the pepper looks photographic compared to the cartoony look of the rest of it. The photoshopped balloon effect on the lettering looks really out of place with the hard outline on the lettering....use one or the other. The pepper's right hand looks like he's about to grab his manly parts

I don't get a few of your observations. The stem of the pepper is a gradient filled vector just like the rest of the objects, but I'd like you to suggest how I could revise it because that is a very astute observation. The "balloon effect" on the lettering is a circular gradient fill. It looked very weak without the outline and shadow. I've had other people comment that the gradient in the letters work well with the gradient in the pepper. Are you suggesting that with the outline the letters should just be solid red? I did that too in the beginning but they popped much more with the gradient fill. I'll show you an example of it with solid color lettering to compare. You are the second person to suggest that the pepper is doing something obscene. The guy who ordered this logo defended that by saying it looks like he's plating "air guitar". I think it's funny that two people now have made that observation. If this was a punk rock band I could REALLY make the pepper look obscene with the addition of a "male member" couldn't I?

Attachments

• Soul Red Letters.jpg
    Soul Red Letters.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 101

Pat Whatley

The only thing on the entire logo without a black outline is the pepper stem. Makes it stand out to me. I like it better without the balloon glow.....and without the black drop shadow on the red letters.

shakey0818

I think it looks great.I do agree with some of the comments.I think maybe the Pepper should be holding a guitar,maybe make little music notes that look like peppers.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I think it looks great.I do agree with some of the comments.I think maybe the Pepper should be holding a guitar,maybe make little music notes that look like peppers.

In the first few drawings I sent the guy I had one with the pepper playing a guitar. The guy said he thought it would be "offputting" to the other musicians who played other instruments. The pepper couldn't have an instrument. I went thru a few revisions before I got the arms in a position he approved. The one i posted in the beginning of this thread is the one where he called me a genius. I'm still working om a beard and headphones. We'll see if that makes him look more "mature" lol.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I feel like I was just subliminally forcefed something religious... that face is terrifying imo.

elliot.jpg

He'll swallow your soul, he'll swallow you're soul!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Okay, shadow is gone as well as gradient fill in letters. I know the headphones need a lot of work. Do you really think this is better than the original image in this post?

Attachments

• Soul Red Letters.jpg
    Soul Red Letters.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 54

Craig Sjoquist

Looks great Arlo... I like the 1st version with white in letters cause I not a fan of black shade with red letter but the white took that away better.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Looks great Arlo... I like the 1st version with white in letters cause I not a fan of black shade with red letter but the white took that away better.

Thanks Craig. The black shade on red letters is because I'm an old sign painter and we used to do that a lot. I would have preferred grey shadow with black outline on everything. I submitted one that way and the guy printed it out and colored it in with a black shadow and sent it back to me. I do what people want sometimes. I don't like any of the revisions that have been suggested more than the original I posted. I'm very open minded to helpful revisions but so far I don't think any I posted beat the original. Guess I'll email it to him.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks like a great start.
Maybe bring the text up a bit higher on the character so people don't think misread it as
Soul Pecker.

wayne k
guam usa