• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WELD ON 4 Starting in FEB. Methylene Chloride: Regulation Under the Toxic Substances Control Act

Bradley D

www.jigsign.com
Anybody know anything about using Weld on 4 in sign shops starting next year when the stuff gets banded for general use?

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Industry specific uses tend to still be acceptable, just how it's sold (no retail sale/display) and such, as well as some suppliers might stop carrying it. It's a crazy useful chemical used in tons of processes (I had to double check, since I am used to it being called DCM/dichloromethane), so procurement is very unlikely to become much harder. That said, it's nasty stuff, but following guidelines is usually a good idea in the case of something so volatile.

JBurton

Signtologist
This cracked me up, WSA sent out a PSA type email, notifying members that products containing MC are super regulated moving forward. They also linked to a video, for those unfamiliar with MC, to see what it can do.
The video is a guy, sitting at a table in a presumably well ventilated shop, using zero PPE while affixing different types of plastic together. I had a whole double take on where I got the video from...
Now, I'm not too familiar with the stuff, been using channelbond for decades, but now my new fabricator likes weldon 4. I can't say if what this fellow is doing is dangerous, outside the norm, or overtly cautious, but I can say his unlabeled syringe bottle bothers the hell out of me. (It looks like the bottles they use for vape juice at gas stations... that's a bad mixup)

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
Main thing is the fumes, skin contact is pretty rough as well. The stuff loves to evaporate, so getting it to stay in a syringe bottle is the trick in the first place. It's unlabeled because in 36 hours it'll be empty. :p