• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are they called?

the108thcreep

Hello,
Just curious. Are there any (non-derogatory :wink:) terms/names/etc. for folks in the world of signs & graphics who predominately use trade vendors for their printing needs?
It seems that with many "trade vendors" doing business that lots people are choosing to send out print jobs and not have in house printing equipment. T.I.A. -108

2B

not sure what you are asking

I am guessing you are referring to a "broker" this person deals with the customer and has the product produced by another company and sells it as their work

SignosaurusRex

If the total cost of owning/leasing and operating their own printer substantially outweighs the cost of subbing out their printing... "Intelligent" or "Savy"

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Around here we used to call the Addie(s)
but not so much any more.....

wayne k
guam usa

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm with Rex. Due to many constraints (technical skill, finances, etc...), it makes sense to outsource so long as a shop can adequately meet customer demand and handle growth. Along with outsourcing, however, come its own set constraints...with a lot of variables out of one's control...timing, delivery, etc...

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The worst name might be broker, but brokers generally don't get their hands dirty installing vinyl. They try to move as much mechandise as possible from vendor to end-user utilizing blind shipping and such.

What you're describing is just wholesaling and nothing wrong with it, if you can set up the proper files, get a quality vendor and instal the goods in a professional manner.

Smart business move if you use it properly. :thumb:

Gene@mpls

I tell my peeps that it is easy money (outsourcing) vs. hard money (actually producing the product). I have made a lot of hard money in my life...
easy money is fun every now and again.

rjssigns

If the total cost of owning/leasing and operating their own printer substantially outweighs the cost of subbing out their printing... "Intelligent" or "Savy"

This^^^

I'd like to add that I sub out work when the job is too big for my one man operation. I used to think that subbing anything out was "stoopid" and stealing my money. So I would work tons of hours to keep everything in house. That was the dumb part.

As one gets older they start to realize time is a finite resource. All those hours, weekends, holidays I worked are gone, forever.

Now I only do the short run, fast turn jobs in house. Large orders get subbed, screen printing gets subbed, etc... Nothing like working the design then sending it out for somebody else to suffer with babysitting equipment and all the rest of the crap that comes with big orders.