• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What causes this?

Sparky

I am in the middle of a huge job on my 1604 and I load a new roll of media and this happens every 12-13 inches in the same spot.
I unloaded/reloaded the media same thing.

I moved the position of the media, same thing.

I cleaned the wiper/printhead, etc... same thing.

It looks like the ink won't stick to the media right there, but is fine elsewhere except on the other end of the media where I get real fine, super straight lines of no ink that run from the front to the back (scratch?).

What am I missing? Is the media bad?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 356
  • larger.jpg
    larger.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 286
  • scratch.jpg
    scratch.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 271

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Looks like the media. Can you see it on the media before it goes into the printer (this would eliminate the printer). With some good lighting take a look. If you see it, take a black sharpie and run it over the scratch. You will notice a differece of how the ink is taken. Then call your supplier and bitch at them.

Sparky

Just ran some other media through and have no problems. Would appear as though I am stuck with a bad roll - will try your sharpie idea - Thanks!

Sparky

The Sharpie trick doesn't show any difference, and to the naked eye, I can't see much of anything on the media. I thought I could, but as I look everywhere else on the roll, I can see spots of the same thing.

Oooohhhhh Fffeeeeelllllllleeerrrrrssssss......

Dev

Hi Sparky!!! i had the simalar problem when printing on my VJ1604, I thought it was the media as it kept coming through at the same spot once in a while, i had the media rolled replace for free but seemed to c it apear again - I soon figued it out - when you load the media keep it un-would at the rear so that theres no pulling tension and keep your head at high level. I havent had this problem since, touch wood!!!!
hope this helps. Deven (UK)

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Use your plastic media roll holders so the material isn't laying directly on the back rollers. Sliding the material across the steel rollers causes those streak marks. I experienced the same problem and it took me a little while to figure out what was happening.

S

Sign-Man Signs

Use your plastic media roll holders so the material isn't laying directly on the back rollers. Sliding the material across the steel rollers causes those streak marks. I experienced the same problem and it took me a little while to figure out what was happening.

Same here. Mike is right. Might want to adjust your media hight also. The marks are from ink on your rollers. Might want to clean those also.

randya

Cut a piece of the media into a sheet, rotate it 90 degrees and print.

If the problem appears in the same place, same direction, then it is not the media.

If the problem rotates 90 degrees, you've isolated the issue.

randya

Can you post a pic, I do not understand what you are describing.

The printer should not scuff the media, when loaded properly.

signrios

Can You Post A Pic I Do Not Understana What You Are Descrilbingji Ghyhujtt

opps, my son is messing with signs101!!