• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you use?

o3TEZ

I need to get a new computer and i was wondering what you guys and gals would suggest. i will be running a mimaki plotter, coreldraw X3, photoshop CS2 and illistrator. when i bought my plotter i got casmate pro 6.52 but i will be switching to something more updated soon. what would you recommend. thanks for any replys in advance. also should it be desktop or laptop. i like the laptop idea but i don't know how well it will work. also i would like to keep the cost down to a minimal. thanks again

Air Art Girl

I can't find the link but, there is a new merchant member that is building computers for our business, equipment and software needs. Someone know where the link is?

Ken

A desktop system will be less expensive. I can hardly believe the cheap prices available now.
You don't have to go " state of the art"..knock it back 2 or 3 pegs...
A 2 gigahertz CPU, 2 gigs of ram, 200 gigs of hard drive space..try to get an expandable system..more of the above allowable..USB 2..THere's just a wide range of boxes that will do this now for very reasonable cost. Under a thousand bucks..you will have a kik-ass computer..
Cheers!
Ken

o3TEZ

thanks for all the info. i called around and for something to be built is costly. so i was talking to some of my nerdy friends and they suggested to build my own. they gave me a list of things i need and told me where to go but could not really suggest what i should get. like what kind of graphix card or mother board. so does anyone know what kind of mother board they have or could anyone suggest one. also a graphix card. everything else i should have covered. thanks

Ken

I'd go with an ASUS motherboard. Unless you actually have a demand for video a 128 MB video card should be good.
Ken

o3TEZ

ok i bought this sign busisness from a friend and he came over to help me hook it up to my computer. well my computer did not have the port my mimaki hooks up to. so this is what started all this computer junk. now im building one and i can not find a mother board with the port it looks like this and from what i found on the internet it is a serial port but i plan on buying everything off of www.zipzoomfly.com and i cant find one. does anyone know what i should be looking for in computer terms when looking at mother boards. thanks again and here is the pic.

Attachments

• portthing.jpg
    portthing.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 158

Ken

So what is the Mimaki output cable?
There maybe an adapter available..
I forget the names of all these things..try e-mailing Techman..he will set you straight..
ken

signage

If your mimaki needs a serial port they make usb to serial port adapters, you must get the high speed one, it should work. I bought a Gerber Envision and the person I bought it from had it hooked up to a Belkin adapter which he gave me and it works!

o3TEZ

huh good to know. where would i get one of these serial port to usb port adapters. can i go to best buy or should i search on the web? thanks again

rcboats1

The one from RadioShack works best. I have tried several for different projects and I keep going back the the RS ones.

o3TEZ

thats good info but there like $35 bucks compared to $10 off the web. don't know what to do. well i thank everyone again. you all helped with what i was looking for. this is a great forum and a big help. thanks again

Last edited:

Ken

10 bucks..35 bucks...???
Man, you gotta get beyond this kind of thinking...think 80 bucks an hour...
Cheers!
ken

Cadmn

think 10 bucks & worthless Or 35 & works but as stated serial ports are pretty standard Now days on motherboards you need to ask your supplier more questions since this is your first build. I only use Nvidia video cards. I've had conflict problems with others before.I started building back in 1980& was tech in computer shop building for colleges in the area from 82-91used mostly AMD processors, Kingston memory , gigabyte MB's & Nvidea VB's