• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What does this test print mean?

Speedsterbeast

So I had another thread started about my Roland SP300V Print head issues.
With the help from a couple of wonderful peeps here, I got a little further in my problem solving:
But...
Now I've got 3 colours what looks like perfect test prints. Except for the black.
I'm wondering if my Blue is printing this well, perhaps I don't need a new head?

Some background info:
My small black text was printing a little fuzzy.
I figured I needed a new head based on some searching and reading.
So I took out the head and soaked in cleaning solution overnight. (I figured I had nothing to lose)
When I replaced the head I could not get any cyan or black to print.
Replaced and filled dampers and lines (I think the black was clogged)
Still no black or cyan.
Then I jumped the F3 fuse on the main board and voila. All 4 colours.
The black is obviously a mess. But- If the cyan is printing that well out of the same head, could it be an issue that may not require a head replacement?
Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Test Print.jpg
    Test Print.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 108

Ragnabrok

You already soaked/flushed it, that's pretty much going nuclear other than those ultrasonic baths.

6 years is a good run, i'd hope it didn't owe you any money at this point :)

Speedsterbeast

You already soaked/flushed it, that's pretty much going nuclear other than those ultrasonic baths.

6 years is a good run, i'd hope it didn't owe you any money at this point :)

It certainly doesn't, even if the entire printer burst into flames at this point.
But- would a bad head print the cyan perfectly and the black badly?
Or is that the sign of another issue?

Ragnabrok

Black ink is a little more dense than the other colours, and tends to go wonky before them for that reason. White and silver even more so. I've replaced many a head on SP's for the same reason, black is fuzzy, cyan is fine.

It certainly doesn't, even if the entire printer burst into flames at this point.
But- would a bad head print the cyan perfectly and the black badly?
Or is that the sign of another issue?

ams

A couple of tests might help. Try doing a super clean (highest cleaning setting) twice. Manually clean around the print heads, clean wiper blades or change it, etc. Make sure there aren't any hairs on the print head or other places. As a last ditch effort, try softly rubbing the printhead with a soft cloth just once. (Don't do it unless you are pretty sure the print head will need to be replaced, it can fix it or ruin it, it's a gamble)

player

I personally would never do one powerful cleaning, let alone two. That would most likely fill the drain bottle, when a head soak and a syringe drawing on just the back/cyan cap will do just as much or better and not waste a ton of $ ink.

Andy D

Black ink is a little more dense than the other colours, and tends to go wonky before them for that reason. White and silver even more so. I've replaced many a head on SP's for the same reason, black is fuzzy, cyan is fine.

Actually, I have heard from a couple different techs that Yellow is the dences color, because they have to add so much pigment for it to show
up... and I have noticed my yellow print heads are usually the first to go... I'm not positive this is true, but I thought it was interesting.

Andy D

I'm not savvy on Roland, but the way your nozzle lines are all over the place, it looks like it could be a connection problem.
Can you switch the heads to see if the issue follows the head?

ams

I personally would never do one powerful cleaning, let alone two. That would most likely fill the drain bottle, when a head soak and a syringe drawing on just the back/cyan cap will do just as much or better and not waste a ton of $ ink.

Don't know what kind of printer you have but it must be awful to fill the drain bottle after one cleaning. I change my drain bottle once every two months, that is with the regular 6 hour auto cleaning and manual cleaning weekly and it's always only half full.

player

Roland. I was warned when I got my first Roland that powerful cleanings are hard on the heads. As I recall they sure suck back the ink...