• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best banner tape to use????

SKD937

We've tried a few different companies in such for the right banner tape and the end result is always the same = FAIL! I've seen some youtube videos and people say that banner tape is just as strong or stronger than hemming the banners.....not sure whats going on with the stuff that we got! Any suggestions as to what banner tape to get would be great, thanks for your time, SKD

rjssigns

Been using STM brand from Fellers. Works a treat. IIRC some folks use PVC cement and rave about the results. I haven't tried it yet since I usually get more glue on me than the project.LOL

Letterbox Mike

We've had good results with Tape Technologies and lately Oracal's banner tapes. I used to hate Oracal's, but it seems like they reformulated the adhesive or something because it sticks a lot better than it used to.

Make sure you're cleaning the backside of the banner with alcohol before applying, and be sure you're squeegeeing/rolling the tape HARD. We've noticed some brands of banner like tape better than others, some have a lot of coarse texture on the back that the tape just doesn't stick to all that well.

IMO with the right combination of banner material and tape, tape hems can be as strong, or stronger than sewn hems. But they're expensive if you start adding up how much tape you use. We never really paid attention to it until I did an inventory audit one day and realized we were using upwards of $700 a month of banner tape. You can get a really good industrial sewing machine for about $2000-$3000, so that purchase was a no brainer. If you're using a lot of tape, you'll see an ROI on the machine purchase in a few months, and beyond that, it's almost free to hem banners then because thread costs just a couple pennies at most to hem a banner.

SKD937

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't cleaning it with any alcohol....I would just wipe it down and the tape away. I'll try applying more pressure as well. Thanks again!!