• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best software for printing and cutting?

Townline

I have always just cut and out sourced my printing. I recently bought a Roland sc-500 converted to eco sol max inks with a heater. I have signlab print and cut 8.0 and was hoping to run my printer just off of signlab. The more I research, the more it looks like I am better off using versaworks. I'm going to upgrade my computer and I'm looking for suggestions on what software I should have to utilize my printer. At the moment I just use signlab to create my designs and currently I'm doing mostly vehicle graphics and banners. Any suggestions would be a huge help.
Thanks, Rob

Mosh

99% of stuff we print and cut comes from Corel then to versa. We do have Signlab, but find we use it less and less, mostly just to run the vinyl cutters. I am even at a point were I doubt I will upgade Signlab (I have been using it since version 2). The way Corel is set up now I can't see paying that much to upgrade Signlab, unless they drastilly cut the price.

Townline

When I bought the printer I didn't get the versaworks because I was planning on running it off of my signlab, is there some where I can go and do load versa?

luggnut

a lot of people use flexisign for cutting and printing with mutoh printers .... so i don't see why you couldn't do the same with signlab and roland. your roland may be too old for versaworks? or versaworks might cost ya... and if you already have signlab (the version with the RIP) it should work. and then use your money to buy corel or adobe. most folks don't do design for printing in flexi or signlab.

but i have never used signlab so this is all speculation on my part.

luggnut

:thread
sorry to be a thread pirate . but mosh you've got a 1000 plus post count and your join date is only a few months back...

i joined 2 years ago and only have 900 plus... you must love this place.:rock-n-roll:

Mosh

Sitting and watching our printers run gives me alot of spare time. I know people let theirs run all night, but I just feel like I have to be here watching. So I post and have a beer or 8.

luggnut

Sitting and watching our printers run gives me alot of spare time. I know people let theirs run all night, but I just feel like I have to be here watching. So I post and have a beer or 8.

i hear ya .... i can't let mine run all night alone either.. but if i was so busy that i needed to run it over night often i would upgrade to something faster.

back on the subject you have the signlab print and cut? will it drive the roland sc-500? and is the RIP comparable to flexi? it seems to be less expensive than flexi or is the lower priced ones not print and cut.

Mosh

The lower priced ones are not print and cut, it was like $2500 if I remeber. I will have to look to see if it will run a sc-500.

Townline

Thank's for your help I'm going to get the corel graphic suite x4. I started out with signlab 5 then upgraded to signlab print and cut 8 and that has served it's purpose for what I needed at the time.