• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What is this crap?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
18bce65f337d94352fd770513bd1a26b.jpg
Off of my L260, printed 2 banners on it yesterday, no issue. Today - this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Plasticizors coming to the surface of the banner material, usually means old stock. Did you print on the same roll as yesterday?
That's what I was saying....printed on this same roll of banner yesterday. Didn't do this. Nozzle test is fine. I haven't seen this issue since using Ultraflex years ago. This is GSG Starprint banner.

Dan360

That's the pattern the rollers that feed the material into the print zone leave when a roll is contaminated with something. ie plasticizers or something else.

Or your rollers could have something on them, but I've never seen that happen.

If it's a double sided material, sometimes the other side won't have this problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like my old television set on a bad winter day when the antennas weren't working none too good.

It's almost certainly the material, not sure why it would be fine one day and not the next. Maybe the banners yesterday were lighter and it wasn't as noticeable?

Cleaning the surface before printing with isopropyl alcohol will clear it up, but it's a huge pain. If it's newer stock (to me) I send it back, but if it's been sitting around for 8 or 9 months I'll just toss it, not worth the hassle for how cheap banner is.

If you search the HP forum for "wave" or something similar there are lots of posts of people having this problem.

chafro

It's the material it's a common problem when using latex with some cheap brands or old materials.

Seen that many times when trying different banner brands.

brycesteiner

Just tell the customer that you came up with a new "retro" design and thought it would be great for them to have something so unique.

AF

Run some cheap engineering paper through the machine to clean the plasticizer off the rollers.

dale911

President
I've had that problem on the latex with heavier banner materials. 18oz Heytex did it. The reason it is worse at the beginning is due to the preheating. The heat pulls the plasticizers to the surface causing that problem. That's why it almost goes away after that. You can try turning the heat down or lower pass count to get it through the heat faster. I solved it by running the banners on the solvent printer.