• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What kind of 4x4 and 6x6 wood posts are you guys using?

Which wood makes the best sign post for direct burial?

• Pressure Treated (Wet)

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • KDAT (kiln dried after treatment) Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Douglas Fir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cedar

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

SW101

Hi guys,

For years I have tried using Lowe's treated posts for ground burial to hold a sign up when a customer wants an all wooden sign. It was wreckless using those posts, you never knew whether the customer would be calling you 6 months down the road because the posts had warped, cracked, or thrown off all of the stain that may have been on it.... yes I know you should give treated lumber 6 months to dry out before staining but you can't always put off a job long enough for your treated posts to dry out.

I don't want to use crap anymore so I am asking for your all's advice. (please be gentle)

What kind of wood posts are you guys using when wood is necessary? Both 4x4 and 6x6? Treated pine? Cedar? Douglas Fir?

I don't mind spending the extra money on nicer posts that wont warp but I also want a post that I can stain immediately after I buy it.

I live in WV so a vendor on the east coast that you recommend would be necessary for me but I will take recommendations on wood types from anybody. Thanks so much!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For 4" x 4"s the second kiln dried will work, just use solid color stain for the painting...... but for 6" x 6"s, cedar are by far the best.

What we used to do was buy a sh!t load of treated and just keep them under wrap for a year before using them. Let them go through a few seasons before putting them out in the field. Treated are really only good for real estate signs.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do like Gino mentioned for the real estate signs by a bunch of 4x4s and let them dry for a few months outside. It's better than having to run to the hardware store every time you want to put up a real estate sign