• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I be getting paid?

dethsky

Hello everyone. I'm still fairly new to the trade of wide format printing. I have been in the printing industry for a few years. This year I took a new job working with Flatbeds as apposed to the sheet fed presses. I'm just curious as to how much I should/could be making here.

Location is Kansas.

Education:
I went to tech school for 2 years and got my degree in Graphic Arts Reproduction.

Work experience is almost 1 year working with the equipment.

I also do most of my own art and file prep that comes straight from the customer, I also sometimes work with the customers to make sure they get what they need.

Equipment:

Fuji Acuity Advance HSx2. I have learned a great deal on this machine since day 1. Id say I know damn near everything about it except for what the Fuji Techs have to come out and do because I don't have a maintenance key.

Kongsberg Mulit-Cut. I route and cut all the materials needed for jobs, as well as finishing them on this machine. I recently had to replace the entire MCU board on this machine. I can almost do all the of the preventative maintenance on this machine as well.

GBC Laminator 2064 WF-1. Pretty self explanatory its a laminator and I use it.

If more information is needed ill be happy to share, but I think this is enough to get a good starting point.

Thanks to all who respond!!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, ya ain't gonna like this, but what do you think you are worth ??

People are trained to do this kinda stuff and get paid what the owners can afford to pay. Sounds as if you agreed to this new job without any pay increases, so why would you suddenly want one ?? If you think you have the boss by the shorthairs, I'd fire ya in a minute, cause what you are insinuating here is basically holding the job hostage.

After speaking with your boss, what did the two of you work out..... or haven' you approached him/her, yet ??

dethsky

I have not approached him yet. He told me once I started running this department well on my own we would be looking at talking about a raise. So basically I was just wanting a general idea of what I should be going in there and asking for. He started me at $15 because I had to be trained, I'm a pretty fast learner and I have good drive to keep on learning. Anyways I would never say that I'm holding my job hostage I enjoy the job a lot and I also take into consideration some of the benefits I have working here. For example I get to make my own hours and as long as the jobs get done they are happy. Very relaxed work environment. But here is the thing, I don't know what I'm worth because I don't know the base line for the industry, hence the reason for the post my man.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good answer. Well thought out and reasonable.

If he started you at $15, I would imagine with perks like you mentioned, you can pretty much come and go as you please. That's something not easy to find, except, if you don't work a full week up till Thursday, he could make you work 10 or 12 hours and not pay you overtime. Could be quite a b!tch on a Friday afternoon and you have some deadlines that suddenly need to be finished.

I don't think there is an across the board cost on this, as every area of the country is different on what they can and are willing to pay. Perhaps, $17 bucks an hour, with the possibility of another one in one year. However, I'd start working normal hours. Here and there, maybe skip an hour or so a month, but be careful. Some places, that's illegal to do, as you might not be considered full time and lose certain benefits.

Good luck.............. :rock-n-roll:

reQ

All depends. But as Gino said - firstly, if business owner was looking to hire some one for this position, obviously you knew how much you will be getting paid. I might be wrong, but you won't be making killing career as a flatbed operator etc. As bad as it might sounds, "i was in graphic designer school for 2 years" "i have certificate that i finished online education as blah blah blah" and all that don't mean crap today. There are not to many graphic designers that are making good money and there is a reason for it. I just counted how many resumes i got for last year from graphics designers - 8 resumes, and all of them finished 1-2 year graphic designer course. I asked few of them - how much are you willing to make as a designer. Most of them where in $20/hour range. Good luck with that.

1) Signs or any kind of printing industry... employees won't make to much money in general
2) Education means nothing today (or almost nothing... as sad as it might sound)
3) If you agreed on terms with your current employer but now not happy with your wage you can either discuss it with them or quit the job & look for new one. Because if i would hire some one and that person one day came to me and said - " You know, people on internet told me that you don't pay me enough, i have to be getting X amount more" I would fire that person right away.

HulkSmash

1 of my guys does what you do - does all the printing. Some File Layout, a little finish work.. and even helps on wraps.
He started 2 years ago at 12 dollars, and now is at $20 + some benefits. He is actually worth more, and will be getting it soon.

binki

Everyone is paid what they are worth. If they were worth more they would move to the job that paid more. Total comp. is the golden rule, pay plus benefits = total comp. Intangibles include flexible work schedule, environment, compassion and much more to be included.

player

$20 sounds like a big number, but it isn't anymore. $20 per hour x 40 hours = $800 per week.

$800 per week x 50 weeks = $40,000 per year.
An employee should try to get as many billable hours they can per week.

DSC

A couple thoughts for you..

Write down your thoughts in a very respectful way and request a meeting with your boss..

Explain to them (using your notes) that you really enjoy the job and start with listing all the positives about the job, and why you are a great fit for the position and the team..

Let them know you are on board for the long haul, and ask them what the future plans are for the position..

I have to say this job position definitely would cap around 50K-55K a year at most , and then you would have to move up the chain to management or a different company if there is no where to go in the current company .

You should reach top pay at that position in 5-10 years with a GREAT record.. Depends on the company..

Ask for a schedule of reviews and the potential for salary increases depending on the reviews .. 2-4% is normal for Large companies .. A little more for smaller ones maybe 2 reviews a year with a $.50 raise each one.

If you start at $15 in 7 years you have maxed out the position..

I don't think that position warrants more than that in most shops..

One scenario is that the shop gets so busy that another printer is brought in, and you then manage 2 low wage employees to run the printers while you supervise and do all pre press ..

But the goal is to get the experience and move up or on, if there is no way to get up the chain in the company you are in, then look elsewhere..

It is all up to the plan of the company.. Find out what there goals are and see if they align with what you envision as your future in the industry ..

Use this time while you have a lower pressure job to back to school at night or online and increase your knowledge and paperwork..

By the time you have capped the position you will have 7 years experience and a STACKED resume.. You will have some great options at that point..

It sounds like you are off to a good start and are tenacious, but like everyone else says, do not get a big head or you will be gone faster than you can finish your coffee in the morning..

That position is EASILY replaceable.. Good luck!

rjssigns

In my neck of the woods at 15 bucks an hour you'd have people lined up for blocks wanting that job. Add the fact you can set your own hours.:cool: Be thankful for what ya got at this point in time. You're still "green".

IMO do your job well, make yourself an indispensable part of the organization then ask for a raise.(boss already mentioned it)

The indispensable part will come with time. Save the bosses bacon a time or two and your "stock" will go up.

DougWestwood

FUJI flatbed guy here

Hi There,

I also work FUJI flatbeds (two right now). I also have install, lamination, roll-to-roll machine experience, etc.
Have been doing this about 8 years, in many different shops.

During the last 2 years, I have been in your exact shoes. Need more to survive, switch jobs, got screwed, looked for another job, couldn't stand new boss, found new job (here) and am staying.

Current boss is amazing. I'm making well above $20, raises happen on schedule (come on August!), vacation, extended medical benefits (different here in Canada). Best part? When the guy says "I'm gonna invest/upgrade/train you for more/do this, do that ..." he always does it. Yeah, the promised land. We are busy and time off is flexible, with enough notice. Currently have learned the new huge machine (see profile photo), and it is making the company a lot of money.

Could I be replaced? Probably. Will he do that? Probably not. I make myself available for crises, extra hours, special demands. I work hard and help others in their areas whenever I can. Those seem to be the "fringe benefits" employees can offer the their employers. A good trade.

To the bosses who have written here that they would fire someone looking for more money, well, maybe it's is just the "lost intent of the written word on the Internet", but whoa, if you'd cut me loose because I want to feed my family (maybe even retire???), well, is that a place I want to work?

And yeah, your graphics education means nothing. I have ten years of graphics experience from my freelance advertising work when I lived in New York City, the biggest forum of design on Planet Earth. Which means zilch in the sign business. Nobody cares and people think anyone can do it. I actually overheard this:

"My kid got Photoshop on his new computer for XMas, I'll just have him design it."
You have seen the resulting customer files. :omg:

If you really need to make more money, learn to do vehicle wraps. Those guys make approx CAN$30+/hour. If you get good and fast, you start charging by the job, not the hour, and you can make a big pile of cash in a short time. The guys I know who do this exclusively are always busy and make good dollars.

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hi There,

I also work FUJI flatbeds (two right now). I also have install, lamination, roll-to-roll machine experience, etc.
Have been doing this about 8 years, in many different shops.

During the last 2 years, I have been in your exact shoes. Need more to survive, switch jobs, got screwed, looked for another job, couldn't stand new boss, found new job (here) and am staying.

Current boss is amazing. I'm making well above $20, raises happen on schedule (come on August!), vacation, extended medical benefits (different here in Canada). Best part? When the guy says "I'm gonna invest/upgrade/train you for more/do this, do that ..." he always does it. Yeah, the promised land. We are busy and time off is flexible, with enough notice. Currently have learned the new huge machine (see profile photo), and it is making the company a lot of money.

Could I be replaced? Probably. Will he do that? Probably not. I make myself available for crises, extra hours, special demands. I work hard and help others in their areas whenever I can. Those seem to be the "fringe benefits" employees can offer the their employers. A good trade.

To the bosses who have written here that they would fire someone looking for more money, well, maybe it's is just the "lost intent of the written word on the Internet", but whoa, if you'd cut me loose because I want to feed my family (maybe even retire???), well, is that a place I want to work?

And yeah, your graphics education means nothing. I have ten years of graphics experience from my freelance advertising work when I lived in New York City, the biggest forum of design on Planet Earth. Which means zilch in the sign business. Nobody cares and people think anyone can do it. I actually overheard this:

"My kid got Photoshop on his new computer for XMas, I'll just have him design it."
You have seen the resulting customer files. :omg:

If you really need to make more money, learn to do vehicle wraps. Those guys make approx CAN$30+/hour. If you get good and fast, you start charging by the job, not the hour, and you can make a big pile of cash in a short time. The guys I know who do this exclusively are always busy and make good dollars.

Good Luck!
- Doug
Vancouver

As for me, that's not what I said, but you bring up a good point. I said, if someone hired on and then thinks they know it all and wants to make demands after they signed a contract, I'd fire their butt in a split second. No one is gonna dictate to me what they need or want, unless I feel it's justifiable. Perhaps I overlooked or misunderstood. All things are possible and negotiable.

However, your other point is just great. :rolleyes: You said cut you loose because you wanna feed your family or retire......?? When we interviewed you, were we talking about hiring your wife and kids ?? Were we discussing your retirement plans ?? I thought we were talking about you working for me, doing your job for an honest day's wages and you either accepted or declined. I'm hiring your hands, your head and feet and total being for 8 hours a day. No texting, no phone calls, no interruptions, no sniveling little stories about how little Johnny needs a new bicycle. I hired you and you alone. Do a good job and perhaps, I can make an exception. Oops, then I'd have disgruntled employees saying I was playing favorites and now everyone has the same rights as you, even though they might be harder workers than you or not. How is your thinking fair for a working environment ?? It's not. Not unless you're the owner, paying for all the f*ck ups, bad workers, forgotten deadlines, missed days of work, snow days, sick days, all the toilet paper you people waste, not to mention the snarky remarks made behind our backs. We're supposed to suck it all up and pretend you people are just happy little workers. Guess what, I have one who has been a frickin' blessing, but in 40 some years, he's the only one I can say that about. Most of the others eventually puff out their chests and start making demands and they aren't worth it. I will never bow down to someone making demands and going back on their word.

So, if you wanna retire on my watch, make sure you tell me up front. I've heard lottsa stories and excuses. Bottom line....... I'm responsible for everything that goes out that door, whether it's a $400 job or a $85,000 project. My name and stamp goes on it. Not yours. You want special treatment, start paying your way or get outta mine.

dethsky

Everyone I'm very grateful for all who chimed in. This is the kind of information I was looking for. I know the industry doesn't pay the most, but not everything is about money "if you love your job you will never work a day in your life" I can't say that every day is like that but for the most part it is. I get to use the equipment here to make some of my own stuff so that is definitely badass!!! Also as "rjssigns" mentioned to make myself indispensable... well that is the plan. I just want to be knowledgeable when I do go into his office for this discussion, and not walk in there like an idiot and just ask for more money because I need/want it. I want to show him that I earned it and will continue to do so. But again I appreciate everyone who took the time to give me some advice!!!!! Here are a couple of the pieces I have made from the scrap from other jobs.:rock-n-roll:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150512_191825.jpg
    20150512_191825.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 144
  • 20141212_123901.jpg
    20141212_123901.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20150202_144546.jpg
    20150202_144546.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 163

Chasez

Hi There,

I agree with Doug, in Canada (atleast in Alberta) $15/hour you wouldn't even get an application unless someone was desperate but when the local Tim Hortons pays that much plus benefits etc. its hard to compete and you have to pay on how much you value the employee. I've worked in multiple sign shops across Canada (even a Fast Signs in Burlington) and it vary's on where you are. I took a $9/hr cut when I went out to Ontario to work because $22/hr was unheard of there for someone producing the signs (and I even ran a CNC). Back in Alberta I'm in the $30/hr range running a plotter, 2 printers, doing all design/production work/ and installs granted it is a smaller company and we're busier than we know how to deal with it (other than working stupid amount of hours).

I think the only one who can determine what you're worth is your employer. Their the ones who know the bills and work coming in. Also like Doug said wrap installers can make good money, but when you work for yourself you have a lot more to do in getting jobs so it goes hand in hand. We've tried hiring local guys who install and they're asking an obscene amount /hr ($50-$75/hr) and I can guarantee they can't install window tint/graphics faster than our installer and myself (can do on avg about 800-1000 sqft/day depending on application). I don't even know if these guys get repeat customers or if they're the type that take your money the first time and say see ya later.

Not sure if any of that information helped.

Chaz

DougWestwood

[/SIZE]As for me, that's not what I said, but you bring up a good point. I said, if someone hired on and then thinks they know it all and wants to make demands after they signed a contract, I'd fire their butt in a split second. No one is gonna dictate to me what they need or want, unless I feel it's justifiable. Perhaps I overlooked or misunderstood. All things are possible and negotiable.

However, your other point is just great. :rolleyes: You said cut you loose because you wanna feed your family or retire......?? When we interviewed you, were we talking about hiring your wife and kids ?? Were we discussing your retirement plans ?? I thought we were talking about you working for me, doing your job for an honest day's wages and you either accepted or declined. I'm hiring your hands, your head and feet and total being for 8 hours a day. No texting, no phone calls, no interruptions, no sniveling little stories about how little Johnny needs a new bicycle. I hired you and you alone. Do a good job and perhaps, I can make an exception. Oops, then I'd have disgruntled employees saying I was playing favorites and now everyone has the same rights as you, even though they might be harder workers than you or not. How is your thinking fair for a working environment ?? It's not. Not unless you're the owner, paying for all the f*ck ups, bad workers, forgotten deadlines, missed days of work, snow days, sick days, all the toilet paper you people waste, not to mention the snarky remarks made behind our backs. We're supposed to suck it all up and pretend you people are just happy little workers. Guess what, I have one who has been a frickin' blessing, but in 40 some years, he's the only one I can say that about. Most of the others eventually puff out their chests and start making demands and they aren't worth it. I will never bow down to someone making demands and going back on their word.

So, if you wanna retire on my watch, make sure you tell me up front. I've heard lottsa stories and excuses. Bottom line....... I'm responsible for everything that goes out that door, whether it's a $400 job or a $85,000 project. My name and stamp goes on it. Not yours. You want special treatment, start paying your way or get outta mine.

Wow, man, that is a mouthful. While I fully understand the weights of being the leader, I bet MANY of your employees would like to stay as long as possible, and NOT go looking for another job. And after training them the way you need, do you really want to replace them? I am DEFINITELY not defending the lazy jerks who play behind your back. We have all worked with them and it's no fun. But be real, my friend. NO you didn't hire my wife and kids, but every employee you have probably has a family of some sort. They aren't on your payroll, but they are on the minds of your workers, and affects their expectations on salary. Fact of life.

And if "Joey" is a crummy worker, gets a raise, and pisses off "Johnny" who IS a good worker, well, that seems to be a personnel/HR problem, not Johnny's. Why shouldn't it be "playing favorites"? Work hard, lower the BS, and you can BECOME a favorite. Survival of the fittest, right? That's just business. No workplace inequality there.

Further, I actually POSTED what I say behind my boss' back! And it's ALL GOOD, because he does what he says, and I treat him respect and hard work. That's a fair deal. Hope your workers say the same about you. :rock-n-roll:

dethsky

Gino,

Your damn right about that. I try to put myself in the bosses shoes from time to time. That way I can have a more open mind of what is actually going on around here, not just what is going on around me. I'm just a part of the bigger picture. Even though you say the end product is yours going out the door, I try to think that if it were my company what would I want going out the door?!? I try and pride myself off of the products I produce and think that since I run this department its not just the company's name that's on it, its mine. Ultimately its my responsibility to do good work, because that's what I'm getting paid for, and I would be pxxxxd if I were a business owner that had axxxxxs running around that didn't give two ****s about their job. After that being said, we are all human and I'm not perfect and no one should expect perfection. But you better give your best 100% and freakin try! Rant done. Again thank you all for your time it was very informative! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

HulkSmash

As an owner, I can say there are a few things employees forget when they are "Concerned about their wages"

- For one - Without the employees there is no company. and YES you are replaceable. If you're worth it, we will let you know.
- We take ALL the risk. When times are slow we find work for you, even if its inhouse stuff - we don't send you home.
- When you mess up, we eat the costs, 100% of it.
- When the customer yells at us for your mistake, we take the blunt of it, and we're the ones embarrassed
- Benefits are typically an extra 1.50-2.50 an hr in costs. Insurance, and NOT cheap. Paying you 1 -2 weeks a year to not work IS hard. Paying you every holiday is NOT easy.
-When you're late, sick, or miss days and you miss jobs you were scheduled for, we call and cover, and take the heat from the angry customer

This industry isn't a hedge fund, you will never be a millionaire as an employee.