• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I charge for ink usage?

klmjff

Hp DesignJet 9000s is the printer. What should I charge per square foot for ink usage? I already have figured out media. Any advice would be welcome.

klmjff

It was a harmless question. If it hurt your feelings, I'm sorry... I thought this was a sign forum. Next time, I'll check with you before I AKS a question....

Matt-Tastic

ignoring the last post, $.35 sq/ft is a reasonable number. I assume you're trying to use a cost estimation program and its asking your ink cost psf

taking the point of his post, you should come up with a baseline figure for your costs based on the expenses you incur running your shop. the cost of personnel talking on the phone, sweeping up, the power consumption of your cc reader, time spent waiting for a proof, the coffee pot. all of these are things you pay for that aren't able to be figured out easily per job. not to mention wasted weeded vinyl, or not having the right size roll of material so you have to waste a larger roll or somethign to that effect.

the Sign industry is one of the few where putting a 1000% markup on your COGS isn't unrealistic. selling a banner that cost you 8 bucks in materials for 80 is fairly commonplace. if you are bidding to the point where you need an exact number for your ink usage, you're bidding to low an don't want that job.

klmjff

Thanks. I regretted posting that question right after I submitted it. It wasn't well thought out like your answer was. Thanks again.

Matt-Tastic

remember, in these forums, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

its ok though. we all have to take our shots, and if you're good enough, you get to dish out a few :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
remember, in these forums, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people...)

Perhaps you learned this bit of drivel when you attended some seminar at the Institute for Advanced Pollyannaism but out in the real world there is an abundance of stupid questions. For example: Does 7 divided by 3 taste salty or is it loud?

Treating a real live stupid question seriously is, more often than not, disgustingly patronizing.

Matt-Tastic

I actually typed a paragraph before thinking: explanation would be "disgustingly patronizing"

I wouldn't want to do that to you. I mean, getting clarification for problems we have in the sign world isn't what these forums are for, are they?

oh, wait. nevermind, stupid question.

and it was actually a quote from South Park. thought it was kinda funny.

Last edited:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Perhaps you learned this bit of drivel when you attended some seminar at the Institute for Advanced Pollyannaism but out in the real world there is an abundance of stupid questions. For example: Does 7 divided by 3 taste salty or is it loud?

Treating a real live stupid question seriously is, more often than not, disgustingly patronizing.

see, there are stupid people, stupid answers AND stupid questions!

dbot

i have an excel spread sheet designed by HP that you put in the cartridge price and it tells you how much ink it uses for about 10 different pictures. That is for the 8000 though. Have you ever seen it?

TheSnowman

Just make sure you charge way more than what it costs you, and you'll cover your ink, and well as everything else. Don't work for free. You will have maintenance on that printer sometime down the road as well...so you don't just want to cover for what you run through it, even if it is already paid for.