• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What sign material does a laser can cut?

bigben

I'm planing to get a laser to mainly cut/engrave on acrylic. Since I will have the machine, I was wondering what other sign product I would be able to cut or engrave. I will have a 5x10 table with a 90w and 150w laser tube. I know I can't cut vinyl, but is there a material I could print on with my HP L26500, stick it on acrylic, then make a contour cut?

Thanks.

reQ

Acrylic, wood, plastics (specially made for laser engravers)

Never put lexan in it.

neil_se

As above plus papers, cardboard, leather, polyester, fabric, rubber, fibreglass, nylon, polystyrene, felt and more.

Perhaps you could print on a self-adhesive paper, polyester or PVC-free vinyl like the 3M 480c (check product specs for material composition). My laser supplier did say that he had customers why cut through vinyl mounted on acrylic and the vinyl thickness is so small that it doesn't cause any problems.

kiowaas

We use a vendor that will laser acrylic sheeted with vinyl - he has to have a system to pull the fumes out though. Does a nice job.

kiowaas

I could ask about wattage that he uses - but I know that they adjust it until it's nice. They have burned a few items on some of the things that we have done. In fact, the best use of the laser so far was sheeting the entire face in HP vinyl, sheeting the entire back in 1/16" foam tape and cutting the entire thing ready to install.

CanuckSigns

We cut acrylic with vinyl on it sometimes, the tiny amount of PVC it is cutting isn't a problem, we have our lasers hooked up to a 900cfm exhaust that vents out and over our roof, no issues with smells in the shop, sometimes you can smell it outside when the wind is still

reQ

Couple weeks ago i did cut couple dozens custom shaped coroplast signs covered with flourescent vinyl. Zero problems, sometimes laser leaves tiny burn mark on the edges, but wiping it with alcohol solves it.