• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What thickness of aluminium to use?

biggmann

Just curious what is a good thickness or aluminium to use for the back of channel letters and what is good for the return?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It depends on the size of the letters and other factors, but we typically did .063" backs and .040" returns. When you start manufacturing letters in the 48" or more range, you might bump up to .080" backs and .063" returns.

DigiPrinter

It depends on the size of the letters and other factors, but we typically did .063" backs and .040" returns. When you start manufacturing letters in the 48" or more range, you might bump up to .080" backs and .063" returns.

+1

.063 backs and .040 returns are pretty standard until you get up there in size.

The coil stock used for returns that I buy from my supplier is .040. I've always used .040 for the backs, too, but I've never gone bigger than 24" letters, either.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

I agree with this...

visual800

+1

.063 backs and .040 returns are pretty standard until you get up there in size.

this must be regional. I have never seen 063 used for the backs of letters even the builder I get channel letters from doesnt use .063. Not arguing at all just asking if this is common where you guys are.

Z SIGNS

acm for the backs of channel letters.It's cheaper,stiffer and routes nice.Yes I know ul might not like it

Signsforwhile

we switched to all acm backs years ago. assembling the letters is a breeze this way. you dont have to worry about the back of the letter flopping around while you're putting it together.

the only time we go back to straight aluminum backs is the rare occasion that we load the cans with neon.

C

ColoPrinthead

this must be regional. I have never seen 063 used for the backs of letters even the builder I get channel letters from doesnt use .063. Not arguing at all just asking if this is common where you guys are.
It was for 48" or larger letters when I worked for Direct Sign Wholesale; we pretty much forced it and wouldn't warranty otherwise. We would even use .063 for returns on some designs. Not sure if it's common, but they felt it was necessary to provide a quality product.

nwsigns

We use .063 mostly unless they are small (16" and under). ACM is not UL listed but if you are using LEDS then it does not need to be, once you throw neon or other 120AC lighting in there you need to use a UL approved enclosure material for back, sides, and faces.

J Hill Designs

We use .063 mostly unless they are small (16" and under). ACM is not UL listed but if you are using LEDS then it does not need to be, once you throw neon or other 120AC lighting in there you need to use a UL approved enclosure material for back, sides, and faces.

"Dibond Material is a UL® (Underwriters Laboratories Inc.) recognized component for electrical signage (UL94V-O)."

nwsigns

Sorry, I meant to say that not ALL ACM is listed. I believe DiBond is recognized for certain applications but would have to go back and read the SAM which I only do in severe cases of insomnia.

biggmann

I have considered using ACM but if you do that then how do you affix the returns to the back? With aluminium we can weld them. Also what thickness do you use for the ACM, im not sure of the standard thicknesses but here in Canada we have 3mm and 6 mm

FS-Keith

I have considered using ACM but if you do that then how do you affix the returns to the back? With aluminium we can weld them. Also what thickness do you use for the ACM, im not sure of the standard thicknesses but here in Canada we have 3mm and 6 mm

we use acm for the backs and .040 returns. for fastening to the back we rivet them then use the stapler