• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to Look For When Purchasing a Used Printer

Hi everyone, new here so don't flame me too bad. I own a small business that creates websites, graphics, branding, etc. for small businesses and individuals (primarily in the motorsports industry).

For the past 16 months or so I've offered vinyl graphics by preparing the artwork, then farming out the vinyl printing/cutting/laminating. I'm at the point now where I want to do more in house, so I have been shopping for a setup that won't break the bank.

My question: As a relative newbie to the vinyl production side of the business, are there any tips you guys could shed some light on when purchasing a used machine that would ensure it works properly? I obviously want to see the machine print in person, but any other specifics that may help? I've searched the web (and this forum) for this info and haven't came up with anything concrete so any help would be appreciated.

The machine that I'm looking at is a Roland BN-20. Most of the graphics we have supplied fall under 18" in height (mostly race car name/number sets, logos, etc.), so I'm thinking the size won't hinder too much and would be a little more affordable to get started.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:

phxsi

I think you will outgrow the BN-20 rather quickly. For the same price you can get a quality used large solvent printer.

Tizz

I'd personally go for a 54" wide printer/cutter or even 30" if your not so fussed with the size. But as phxsi stated you will outgrow the BN. But this depends on your budget.

I purchased my Roland used and did a lot of research first in the models that interested me and other users experience with these models. A quick google search on Roland model... such and such will give you heaps of info of some for sale, user errors, problems etc... Watched video's on utube of the different models of printers performing.
Here's a link in this site with reviews on inkjet printers. Great reviews!
http://www.signs101.com/reviewpost/showcat.php?cat=3

This was my first eco sol printer so I too wanted to buy something that was working and not have so much issues with. I do say issues due to it being second hand, so I expected a lot of usage out of it and to replace certain parts from wear and tear.
The first I looked at was the print head condition (nozzle blockage), printer maintenance, scan motor, ink used (oem or third party) and seeing the printer in action.
Replacing print heads aren't cheap, some third party inks I've read by other users have been great, others have had nothing but problems with print head blockage and such.

This is where I started and spoke with many people in the industry from sales, printer techs, operators and suppliers. Got heaps of info, learnt a lot (and still learning) and reading heaps on this forum.

I ended up purchasing my used Roland with a warranty, 2 new print heads, new scan motor and serviced by a Roland tech (I picked at his brain bigtime...lol). The data cable was replaced a month or so later but wasn't charged for this.

Got myself a cold laminator a couple of months later and haven't looked back.
Glad I sought a 54" wide print and cut.

Hope this helps!