• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What type of thread to sew banners

Happyprinter

We recently decided to purchase a sewing machine for banner sewing. In the past we have always used tape to seam and it has worked just fine. One of our larger customers wanted their banners sewn so hence, the purchase. My big question is what type of thread do I need to sew the banners? Who supplies this?

rjssigns

I sub this out to and upholstery shop. It is the same thread they use for custom boat covers. Overkill, but I never get failures either.

GB2

Old Member
Does anyone have anything else they can add to what type of thread you are using for sewing banners and where you can buy it?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We use #69 bonded nylon - stock both white and black. You can use #92 as well but its really overkill in my opinion and you will need to run a larger needle. We have been use #69 for a few years with no problems at all. I actually buy it on ebay..... a couple of 1500yd cones lasts quite a while for us.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No expert here,
but we seem to be doing ok with V92 Polyester using a #20 needle for our 13oz and up banner materials.
You should be able to get it from an upholstery supply shop, when we run short we get it from a local boat shop that does sail repair - manufacture.
Lots of places on line.
If you want a bunch of how-to, "why do my stitches look like crap?" info you can check these guys out:
http://www.sailrite.com/
They sell the stuff but their prices are not the best.

wayne k
guam usa

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
We use mono-filament. It's clear so it blends with any color banner prints we do, its super strong and doesn't rot away.

GB2

Old Member
Thank you for those updated replies, I should have asked also, what about the nylon web reinforcement? Do we have any information or a good source for purchasing that and maybe D rings too? I had been focusing on the machine and never gave enough thought to all these little details before.